Have you passed your Cycling Proficiency?

Have you taken either Cycling Proficiency or Bikeability Training?

• I passed my Cycling Proficiency

Votes: 172 63.0%
  • I failed my Cycling Proficiency

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • I passed my Bikeability

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • I failed Bikeability

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never had any cycle training

Votes: 86 31.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Passed c1974 on the wild roads of Coventry.

young Ed

Veteran
i passed one, not sure which though :sad:
learnt nothing, pissed off the instructors and got bored (i had been riding on the road since a toddler so i was obviously to cool for that lot!
Cheers Ed

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I passed it 40+ years ago. One worry though: I seem to recall being told to ride 18" from the kerb. Does anyone else recall anything daft like that? Obviously I know better now

Schneil

Veteran
I didn't do cycling proficiency as a child, but then I didn't really cycle as a child - cycling was mostly done in the park or such like.

I didn't start riding regularly until after I'd passed my driving test and had been driving for a few years.

A couple of years ago I had to do Bikeability to level 2 as part of a package to get a new bike cheap through a local authority schem (Bike Boost). TBH I was shocked how basic it was. In no waydoes it prepare one for cycling on our complex road system.

Bikeability level 3 what you need for main roads or complex junctions.

I passed it in the 1990's.

All I remember is being taught to cycle at the minimum amount required from the kerb to make sure you didn't run over the drains, and to be exactly to the left side of the middle white line when turning right!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I passed mine about 50 years ago, I think!
Still have the enamel badge to prove it :becool:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
I didn't do cycling proficiency as a child, but then I didn't really cycle as a child - cycling was mostly done in the park or such like.

I didn't start riding regularly until after I'd passed my driving test and had been driving for a few years.

A couple of years ago I had to do Bikeability to level 2 as part of a package to get a new bike cheap through a local authority schem (Bike Boost). TBH I was shocked how basic it was. In no waydoes it prepare one for cycling on our complex road system.

Bikeability Level 2 is designed as an introduction to on road riding, in quiet residential areas, making short journeys. It is deliberately basic, as it is the starting point that we would expect 9-11 year olds to be able to acheive after approximately 6 hours. What should have been offered to you was a level 2 evaluation, followed by level 3 training, based around your individual needs.

Top Bottom