Have you passed your Cycling Proficiency?

Have you taken either Cycling Proficiency or Bikeability Training?

• I passed my Cycling Proficiency

Votes: 172 63.0%
  • I failed my Cycling Proficiency

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • I passed my Bikeability

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • I failed Bikeability

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I've never had any cycle training

Votes: 86 31.5%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
In another thread "cyclists are their own worst enemy", there was a quote from a member of the public saying that cyclists should have passed their Cycling proficiency in this post

I suspect that a large majority have, I know I did .... In the playground with the cones and the police officer back in 1979. Now the bloke making that statement might think that was a long time ago, but it suspect it was more recently than he took his driving test and I assume he thinks that's still valid. So have you passed either you cycling proficiency or Bikeability for those with less wrinkles:whistle:

By the way I still have that triangular badge!

Drago

Legendary Member
Passed mine in 1978 on my sister bike cos the bloke wouldn't let me use my Chopper.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Passed mine in the mid 1980's, cones in the school playground etc.
My kids will both do Bikeability in Year 6.

Sara_H

Guru
I didn't do cycling proficiency as a child, but then I didn't really cycle as a child - cycling was mostly done in the park or such like.

I didn't start riding regularly until after I'd passed my driving test and had been driving for a few years.

A couple of years ago I had to do Bikeability to level 2 as part of a package to get a new bike cheap through a local authority schem (Bike Boost). TBH I was shocked how basic it was. In no waydoes it prepare one for cycling on our complex road system.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
No. Didn't even own a bike until my late 30's!

lee1980sim

Never did it, for some reason they stopped doing it in my area when I was younger, haven't bothered since then it's not like you actually need a licence to ride or that I'll be getting any insurance discounts like advanced driving courses offer

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Half a century ago! (:eek:)

It was the condition that my parents made before agreeing to buy me a bike. They didn't want their 9 year old son riding solo on city streets without having had some basic training on the Highway Code etc. The fact that cautious parents then felt ok about it shows how much quieter the roads were then.

I found a photo of our street taken in the early 1970s and it shows about 10-20% of the traffic and parked vehicles compared to now.

DRHysted

Guru
As above it had stopped when I got to middle school. So my training was from my mother (who cycled everywhere with us cycling).
My eldest sister passed hers (44 now), and my mother was so critical of her "correct" cycling I'm not sure I'd have been allowed to do cycling proficiency.

lee1980sim

I found a photo of our street taken in the early 1970s and it shows about 10-20% of the traffic and parked vehicles compared to now.

My old streets are like that, they used to be clear now you either zigzag / slalom along or set off and hope you get to the end rather than meeting someone in the middle

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
So far I'm suprised at the % that haven't done it! I guess you assume what you have done is the norm! My kids have all done Bikeability level 2, and one did the Level 3 at secondary school.

Top Bottom