Haven't been cycling for 2 weeks and starting to feel miserable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
That sounds like a nice ride out.
Opposite end of Wales to me though. North to Mid Wales is my neck of the woods. I would imagine that bridge could get a bit interesting to ride over in the wind 💨
I've done it in a gale crosswind, very scary. I also know the Bala/Snowdonia bits quite well, as I went to school near Chester. I really need to get to know mid Wales. You just can't go wrong with Wales. Wales never fails...

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
My first ride out tomorrow for the first time in what seems like months (weeks, really). Zwift and the turbo are great for keeping the fitness up and does help my mood too, but it isn't the same as riding outside in the fresh air of the countryside.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I could do that @ianrauk, but in the cold reality, i have real early starts and im not what you would call a morning person.
Its a case of waking up followed by 2 cups of coffee and then somehow by a miracle get my lazy backside into work lol. The thought of fixing my bike to the car in the early hours and then driving part of the way and riding the rest along some remote dark hilly forest lane's all seems a little to much effort
If it was a nice 5/10 mile commute i think I would manage that

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
@Cranky Knee Girl.
Snowdonia is a beautiful place to cycle. Last year i cycled from Shropshire to Bala, Barmouth. It took a couple of days and the scenery was amazing. The weather was dry and had a good tail wind all the way (which was unusual) Strangely enough my school days were in Chester

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I could do that @ianrauk, but in the cold reality, i have real early starts and im not what you would call a morning person.
Its a case of waking up followed by 2 cups of coffee and then somehow by a miracle get my lazy backside into work lol. The thought of fixing my bike to the car in the early hours and then driving part of the way and riding the rest along some remote dark hilly forest lane's all seems a little to much effort
If it was a nice 5/10 mile commute i think I would manage that
It's a shame.
I feel lucky us hardened cycle commuters get to ride every day which means we don't get that withdrawal symptom you get if the weather's too crap to ride at weekends.

How about take the bike to work and grab an half hour ride during your lunch break.

simon.r

Person
I’ve not done any (relatively) long rides for a few weeks, but I do find that just getting on the bike and riding to the shops every day or two helps my mood, as does Zwift to a lesser extent.

Regular utility cycling is also a good justification for n + 1. A cheap old heavy clunker with panniers does the job admirably and the extra weight is probably a good thing in the high winds we’ve been experiencing recently!

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
This winter has had a bit of a sting in the tail.
It's been relatively ok for the first half but the last few weeks have been lousy.
Spring isn't to far away though and the first signs are definitely showing. There's a few daffodils coming through and the mornings are getting lighter. Given a few more weeks and all this will be long and forgotten (apart from the unfortunate ones drying there flooded homes out)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I understand your pain and feel something similar - I have pretty much hibernated since the end of October...

I did a mere 22 minutes of moderate spinning on my turbo trainer this evening but even that was enough to lift my mood. 2020 starts here! :okay:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I understand your pain and feel something similar - I have pretty much hibernated since the end of October...

I did a mere 22 minutes of moderate spinning on my turbo trainer this evening but even that was enough to lift my mood. 2020 starts here! :okay:
You're slap bang in the middle of the other area of awful flooding too. I expect you probably know that :rolleyes:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You're slap bang in the middle of the other area of awful flooding too. I expect you probably know that :rolleyes:
Yes - we just about got away with it here at the upper end of the Calder Valley but the poor people further down in Hebden Bridge, Mytholmroyd and beyond got hammered again.

The towns seem to feature a lot on the TV news when they flood. My theory is that it is because some TV companies moved up to nearby Salford and it is quite quick and easy for the camera crews to nip over here.

Venod

Eh up
This is the worst spell of weather for some time regarding cycling, the wind is just too much and if it drops a little the wind chill and rain is still a put off, its the longest I have had without an outdoor ride for years, its depressing, the Turbo has kept my sanity.

Edit, I have had longer spells off the bike through injury, its the longest without an outdoor ride whilst fit.

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am in the same boat... almost literally. This is the wettest February on record in Denmark and its been blowing a gale for 2 weeks almost non stop.
The small comfort is that I rode over 1000km in January and barely 300km in February. It stills leaves me ahead of my yearly target.

Slick

Guru
It's been the exact same here although as I look out the window, it looks quite calm but it's deceptive as it's only taking a breath before the snow wind and rain comes again.

It's the velodrome for me on Monday night. Not ideal but better than nothing.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I debated getting a "smart" trainer but the cost was too high for what little use I expect it would get once the weather improves.

Snagged a bargain gym membership on Valentines day, £14 for a months " Gold" membership. First opportunity to use it today so I'll be heading up to check out the turbo trainers and possibly the Dreadmills.

Top Bottom