Haven't been cycling for 2 weeks and starting to feel miserable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
The only good thing about the weather is that it has conincided with both of my bikes being mechanically defective, the road bike needing a new rear derailleur and hanger which I spent too long today getting no where with, jammed old gear cable and something wrong with the new derailleur which I suspect now is fitting it ninety degrees out:banghead: Meanwhile the missing parts to repair the TSDZ2 motor on the hybrid are en route from China:smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I bit the bullet ride to work in a rainstorm very dark ,cold and wet can't wait to ride home in soggy kit
:sad: I work from home most days so it is rather easier for me to avoid cycling in the rain. Use the train for my one day in London (hopefully come the longer, warmer and drier days, I'll cycle (at least part of the way))

lane

Veteran
Managed to get out on the Saturday of the first storm weekend but last weekend not at all. Yesterday got out in the afternoon and managed 50km; it wasn't raining or cold but very windy at the edge of my comfort level especially on one busy narrow section of exposed road with a side wind I could definitely feel catching me a couple of times. Then another section of flooded road which needed passing in the middle but cars coming the other way were pulling right into the middle and then driving through quite fast creating a large wave effect. Nonetheless I felt a lot better for getting out and some fresh air and exercise.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I made Wales across the closed to traffic old bridge into a gale, by the time coffee had been consumed in Chepstow the bridge was open to all and the sun came out. Just what the doctor ordered. I've got brisket braising in the oven now, smells great and properly hungry ^_^
Happy memories. That bridge used to be part of my regular commute, and I crossed it many many times when the road was completely closed, with few if any alarms. Out in the middle, the raised roadway provides a lot of protection from the wind, and in the absence of traffic noise it can be remarkably peaceful! The bit you have to watch is close to the cliff on the English side, where the wind often swirls unpredictably, and sometimes I felt it was safest to walk that part.

Checking my recent rides, I see my last effort was February 5th, a day of complete calm and still only 19 days ago. I think there were a couple of decent days after that, so really, the current stormy spell hasn't been going on that long. But it has been a bit unrelieved. There seems to be a reasonable looking day coming on Thursday - permission may be sought. Some of my preferred routes will be underwater though. :unsure:

Oh yes you are!
Oh no you're not!
:biggrin:
Everyone's already forgotten from the other thread that it's an entirely personal thing.
I'm one of those put off by bad weather.
Think I'm a wimp?
Who cares?
It's not fun being unable to ride for any reason.
I don`t think it is being wimpish at all. There is a big difference in going out in all weathers because you have to train ie the pro`s and going out for pure enjoyment or fitness. I am lucky that I can choose when I go out since I retired. If it is mild and wet that is one thing but throw in wind and cold and I`ll stay in, fettling perhaps. did think about rollers a few years ago but could`nt get on with them so I bought mudguards instead. If we did get a prolonged spell of bad weather maybe I`d get a turbo. As you said " It`s not fun being unable to ride for any reason".

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I decided last week to rejoin the local cycling group despite my 'introvertedness'.
So I was out Wednesday with a warm welcome back :biggrin:
Yesterday was a no go as I had the usual Sunday roast to do.
Today I almost gave in as it looked miserable outside...pi**ing rain and thick fog dampened my spirits but I thought, "Bollix to it, I'm going out no matter what!"
Multiple layers later I was on the road to meet the group and the rain stopped. It was warmer than I thought too.
The river next to the cycle trail had seemingly burst its banks again and the rapids had chewed away the tarmac surface in lots of places. T'was a bit on the bumpy side. A nice big lake awaited us on reaching the outskirts of Horwich and barely scraped the bottom brackets of the bikes.
Had a nice tailwind back into Bolton though. Only 10 miles but I'm knackered. Happy I got out though. :smile:

Private account.
I'm on a bumpy bus just now and its not a good mix with my post chemo fingers but

ZIZAG

Veteran
I'm on a bumpy bus just now and its not a good mix with my post chemo fingers but View attachment 505872
I thought It was just me that was out off by the weather .
have not cycled for over a month now .
Before this Monsoon weather was Just doing local 10/ 12 Mile cycles so lost all cycle fitness .
however .
just to keep some form of getting out reverted to walking till the Sun and some dry weather comes back soon .

Ashimoto

I now exactly how you feel. It annoys me when i cant get out. Im always waiting for that slight break in the weather so I can attempt a couple of hours. 9 times out of 10 I'll get wet through . I dont mind rain and I dont mind a bit of wind but I hate the two together

Top Bottom