He touched my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fasta Asloth

Market research companies know this and are extremely likely to take it into account - it's not in their interest to provide duff data to their clients.

Edited to add... Since the report said that the M25 was people's least favourite motorway, I think we can take it for granted that quite a lot of people in the sample drive on the M25.
hence the problem of then using that sample to extrapolate to a whole country of diverse population densities, terrain etc.... IF it was the case that the vast majority sampled drove the M25 routinely then, for me, this says that 760/1000 who mostly drive on the M25 are bored (that was all i was referring to when saying you need to know the demographics of the sample population)...such data probably tells me little about the probability that Fergus in Ullapool is bored when he drives, or Hugh in Llanberris....

400bhp

Guru
Just assume it's a random sample. That's reasonable enough isn't it.

There's of course reasons why the random sample isn't representative of the underlying population, but that is explained in the mathematical confidence interval.

Fasta Asloth

Just assume it's a random sample. That's reasonable enough isn't it.

There's of course reasons why the random sample isn't representative of the underlying population, but that is explained in the mathematical confidence interval.

Feel free to assume...many a study, in my field of work at least, has subsequently been 'shot down' due to assumptions.... Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the study was not designed properly, just that from the information given that I, at least, can not be certain of how the study was put together and therefore what conclusions can be taken away from it....Don't think that is a wholely inaccurate position to have?

400bhp

Guru
Feel free to assume...many a study, in my field of work at least, has subsequently then 'shot down' due to assumptions.... Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the study was not designed properly, just that from the information given that I, at least, can not be certain of how the study was put together and therefore what conclusions can be taken away from it....Don't think that is a wholely inaccurate position to have?

Of course not, but the study has some truisms doesn't it? That a large proportion of people have (at some time) been bored whilst driving.

But this study is a red herring anyway isn't it? It was put forward to suggest that people don't find driving relaxing. Can you be relaxed AND bored? I believe you can.

Fasta Asloth

Of course not, but the study has some truisms doesn't it? That a large proportion of people have (at some time) been bored whilst driving.

But this study is a red herring anyway isn't it? It was put forward to suggest that people don't find driving relaxing. Can you be relaxed AND bored? I believe you can.

Agree with you on the relaxed and bored, and on that note time for a few circuits (on the bike of course..) of Richmond to relax :smile:

U

User482

Not at all, read your post and understood it completely...

In which case you're just plain wrong. The study could be biased exclusively to densely populated areas and the point would still stand for the UK as a whole. The clue is in where people actually live.

Fasta Asloth

In which case you're just plain wrong. The study could be biased exclusively to densely populated areas and the point would still stand for the UK as a whole. The clue is in where people actually live.

I bow to your superior knowledge....Just glad you are not involved in setting up the sample demographics for any of our clinical trials we put together then...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

About a third of drivers fall into the second category, according to a survey conducted by researchers at Newcastle University in the UK. And if you think aggressive drivers are the most dangerous on the road, you might consider the hazards posed by bored ones. Led by Jane Harvey, the scientists found that boredom in their study subjects translated into riskier driving to make the on-road experience more exciting, leading them to have one and a half times more accidents than other drivers.
“We found four clusters of drivers – those who we called nervous, dangerous, young and bored, those who were enthusiastic, those who disliked driving, and those who were slow and safe,” says Harvey. The young and bored drivers were more likely to report feeling rushed when driving, and generally more anxious behind the wheel. That nervous energy translated into a need to match their heightened sense of excitement and stimulation while on the road, something that they seem only able to do by speeding or driving recklessly. These drivers reported not only making more mistakes, such as driving with the parking brake on or taking off in the wrong manual gear, but also being in more accidents. In order to stimulate themselves, they also tended to speed in urban areas and adopt other accident-prone behaviors.

400bhp

Guru

Perhaps not - you're concentrating on traffic density. There are other factors at play as to what determines whether someone is bored or not. Boredom thresholds, intelligence etc.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
hence the problem of then using that sample to extrapolate to a whole country of diverse population densities, terrain etc.... IF it was the case that the vast majority sampled drove the M25 routinely then, for me, this says that 760/1000 who mostly drive on the M25 are bored (that was all i was referring to when saying you need to know the demographics of the sample population)...such data probably tells me little about the probability that Fergus in Ullapool is bored when he drives, or Hugh in Llanberris....
LnQQIt1uxkif8dJnx2YUlQ2.gif

(by the way, the standard of driving and the KSI ratios in the North of Scotland suggests that all they're bored with is life)

400bhp

Guru

Thanks

The other group that tended to drive fast included the enthusiastic drivers, who, Harvey says, unlike the bored and dangerous drivers found driving to be the perfect balance between excitement and relaxation. For these people, operating a vehicle was both challenge and pleasure, and while they tended to speed, they did so on freeways and were involved in the least number of accidents among the four groups.

U

User482

I bow to your superior knowledge....Just glad you are not involved in setting up the sample demographics for any of our clinical trials we put together then...

It's simply a matter of understanding the numbers. 89% of the UK population live in urban areas.

U

User482

Perhaps not - you're concentrating on traffic density. There are other factors at play as to what determines whether someone is bored or not. Boredom thresholds, intelligence etc.

No, I'm telling you where people live, which is why worrying about the inclusion of drivers in northern Scotland in the sample is largely moot.

Top Bottom