He touched my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fasta Asloth

Your proposition is that people driving in busy areas may give a different answer to people driving in rural areas, and that the sample result would be too high if it excluded people driving in rural areas.

The unreasonableness of your position is that even if you're right, it makes sod all difference to the result. Because 89% of us live in busy areas.

As hip priest noted, this thread is getting boring for most people, but happy to correct your misconceptions on what my proposition actually is and your subsequent position with regards to that via p.m. . So p.m. me if you wish..........

Fasta Asloth

Now, don't be touching people's cars will you. :boxing:

Only to relieve their boredom when they see the "red mist..." ;)

Brandane

Legendary Member
But have you ever been to you?

I've been to paradise, but I've never been to me :music:.

screenman

Legendary Member
Why do people click on a post they are bored with? Just going out for a 60 minute ride and will not see a car within 400 yards at all. If I lean on a tree will that offend it, maybe I should avoid the Ash one's.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
I find both places pleasant. Unremarkable, but pleasant.

But Lincolnshire has Cadwell Park. Bristol does not.

4-4 AET. Lincolnshire wins 7-6 on penalties.

Close, but Cadwell is the difference.

Cadwell's OK, but the Bluestone Heath road which passes within a mile of it swings the vote for me.
(Oh, and the fact that I'm originally from Lincolnshire)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
y
I know you disapprove of my filling the Internet, but it is a fault I live with.

You and I disagree about the private car being a social menace. I may be wrong, but I hold it to be a good thing. I agree with you that it has extraordinary levels of reach and dominance in the real world. I agree too about nothing being comparable in terms of function; I think that is part of the attraction for me.

I accept the difference between cricket and motoring in terms of running things and people over. The analogy was a poor one, although in mitigation it was made with reference to your words about drivers being bored rather than any explicit mention of social menace.

I would be careful telling people (as you tell me) what they have or have not decided not to understand. I absolutely accept your view (the commonly held view) that it is a hegemony thing. On the public highway the motor vehicle holds sway. It does not have me 'in its spell' as you say it does. It is thoughtful of you to take the trouble to break the spell, but there is no spell to break. I am reminded of a religious friend who tried to persuade me that Christ loved me. It was lovely of him to try, but religion did not and does not fit my pistol. Nor does the 'Evil hegemony of the car' thing, but it is equally lovely of you to try.

I have never driven in fictional conditions, so I cannot argue about that either.

I have driven and continue to drive in the real world. I rather like it most of the time. I quite like it some of the time and there is the odd, rare instance when it is horrid.

People bringing up three children in rural market towns are welcome to eschew the motor car if they choose. I choose not to. I have found cars helpful. And often fun.

When (years ago) I was bringing up toddlers and babies in Central London, we travelled by bicycle, tube and bus. I didn't think the car wicked, just inappropriate in those conditions. In sat on the street, but was driven rarely.

I enjoy cycling too. And train travel. And aeroplanes. And sailing boats and ferries. And walking. Helicopters frighten me. I wish they didn't.

Luckily I have no such qualms. And to be fair to your religious friend, if Christ loves you then I daresay he loves you whether you are persuaded of it or not. But it's a good job I'm so tirelessly devoted to putting you straight, because you persist in giving me occasion to do so. The whole point of hegemony is that its operation is largely invisible - to suggest that it is "the commonly held view" that the dominance of the car culture is a hegemony thing is self-evidently absurd. Like so many other things about which I am right and you are wrong, it is your view that is commonly held, and mine that is relatively unusual. Which is why you need to bang on irrelevantly about babies and market-towns. You also make the mistake of imagining that your enjoyment of driving matters to me, or to anything much. It's that bourgeois individualism again. Your car appropriates the same amount of space and makes the same demands on everyone else whether you are utterly miserable in it or on the very brink of ecstasy. I would, of course, gladly make drivers even more miserable than most of them seem to be already, but not out of any desire to spoil your fun.

VamP

Banned
I find both places pleasant. Unremarkable, but pleasant.

But Lincolnshire has Cadwell Park. Bristol does not.

4-4 AET. Lincolnshire wins 7-6 on penalties.

Close, but Cadwell is the difference.

Oh yeah? I think you might have forgotten Clifton Suspension Bridge!

Top Bottom