He touched my car

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Agree, about worrying where people live, but you seem to be assuming people get bored because of where they live. This may or may not be the case. From my 5 min skim reading of the study it suggests, in part, that the level of boredom is dependent upon other characteristics.

Fasta Asloth

Perhaps you have misunderstood my posts? I have never said there wasn't a clear population density skew for urban vs rural. All I pointed out is that, as far as the information I have to hand in this thread, we don't know how Allianz set-up the study. Without knowing this then basing conculsions on their subsequent analysis MAY be erroneous. As I said to 400bp, it may well be the case that their sampling was indeed perfect and therefore we can have more confidence in their data and their conclusions. Without knowing their sampling I, at least, cant be as confident in their data. So what is unreasonable with my position there?

Defo time for a bike ride now...

Fasta Asloth

No, I'm telling you where people live, which is why worrying about the inclusion of drivers in northern Scotland in the sample is largely moot.

You may be telling us, but is Allianz? If they are, then of course that adds more parameters to investigate when analysing their data and conclusions....

400bhp

Guru
Perhaps you have misunderstood my posts? I have never said there wasn't a clear population density skew for urban vs rural. All I pointed out is that, as far as the information I have to hand in this thread, we don't know how Allianz set-up the study. Without knowing this then basing conculsions on their subsequent analysis MAY be erroneous. As I said to 400bp, it may well be the case that their sampling was indeed perfect and therefore we can have more confidence in their data and their conclusions. Without knowing their sampling I, at least, cant be as confident in their data. So what is unreasonable with my position there?

Now, don't be touching people's cars will you. :boxing:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Thanks

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/p...rists-seeks-driving-thrills-to-combat-boredom
The largest group, making up 35% of the driving population, are described as “enthusiastic”. The Newcastle University researchers found that they were less likely to have a crash because they find driving more challenging or intrinsically interesting. This kind of motorist enjoys driving, is calmer and is therefore less likely to have an accident.
If you can reliably find a way to ensure that only the one-third of the population who enjoys driving (a proportion not much higher, incidentally, than the third of the population that the insurance survey found were not bored by driving) drive at speed - be my guest. My best guess is that this group are in fact less likely to speed because they don't need the stimulation. And that most people who think they're in this group in fact aren't.

U

User482

Your proposition is that people driving in busy areas may give a different answer to people driving in rural areas, and that the sample result would be too high if it excluded people driving in rural areas.

The unreasonableness of your position is that even if you're right, it makes sod all difference to the result. Because 89% of us live in busy areas.

U

User482

I would hate to be part of the 89%

I would be bored stiff if I were one of the 11%.

screenman

Legendary Member
May have been to you, but the cycling is better that is for sure. Anyway Bristol is hardly that big and busy compared with our major cities, even though it is quite large by South West.

Can I ask what you have in Bristol that say I do not have in rural Lincolnshire, just for comparison sakes. Apart from traffic that is.

U

User482

May have been to you, but the cycling is better that is for sure. Anyway Bristol is hardly that big and busy compared with our major cities, even though it is quite large by South West.

Can I ask what you have in Bristol that say I do not have in rural Lincolnshire, just for comparison sakes. Apart from traffic that is.
Largest city in the SW and I think the 10th largest in the UK. So it's one of our major cities.

I have all of the facilities a large city offers, including museums, libraries, theatres, restaurants, galleries and family attractions. I have thriving high streets with independent shops. I can get to anything I want quickly and easily by bicycle. Should I want to explore the countryside, I can be in the Somerset hills within 20 minutes. I went mountain biking last night and was on the trail within 15 minutes of leaving work.

So the question is what do you have that I don't?

Top Bottom