Heart Rate Monitor advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sep1988

As the title states, its all pretty self explanatory and apologies in advance for some silly questions.

I am looking to buy a heart rate monitor and really don't know where to start. I don't have the most substantial budget so around £70-80 would be the absolute max.

I have been looking on Amazon and Wiggle and seen some that would do the job but cant seem to grasp whether the heart rate monitor 'watch' comes with the sensor strap or do I have to buy this separately as some don't mention it.

Any advice or recommendations would be gratefully appreciated. Many thanks in advance :-)

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
most come with the cycle computer from as little as £20, my polaris computer with hartate monitor is 3 years old and going storng, i think it was about £40 and i have a wactch one from lidel that cost a tenner,so get into some bikeshops and have a look then check out ebay

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Prices of these have come down massively. Have a look at Decathlon on-line for an idea, but as said they start from cheap £20 upwards. The watches come with chest straps.

If the budget stretches, try and get one that logs your HR so you aren't staring at it all the time.

Bear in mind your HR is individual to you, so watch and see at what your rate is for a perceived 'effort' - e.g see wha tthe rate is for cruising, what it is for pushing it, and what it's like when climbing a tough hill and you are at your maximum. Once you've got used to what HR to expect, then you can make use of the readings. It's very useful to guage fitness and also if you are a little unwell.

I've had a basic one for years from cardio sport (actually have had two), but now use my Garmin 705 for this data. This is where it get's very interesting, as you can compare rides, and the output from both - e.g. one ride might be quicker than another, but your HR is lower for the faster ride - giving you hints that your fitness is improving. You may find the opposite is true as you may have been not 100%. One thing it did tell me, was when I was on a particular medication, it made my heart rate race well above where it should have been, and I was having difficulty keeping it down - I was climbing a hill and the HR was hitting 190's, where it should have been 160-170 for the 'effort' I was putting in. I was even easing off. That told me to stop the medication (after seeing the Doc).

Don't rush into analysing the data, as you need to get an idea of your base line HR rates.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
If possible try and get a strap that uses ANT+ instead of a polar one, as this will allow you to use the strap with other computers should you upgrade in the future.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Wearing your HRM around the house can be quite illuminating as you watch how your HR responds to various activities.

I once took the pulse of an unwell and unfit female colleague (don't ask!) and was amazed to find thateven seated she was pumping about 78.

Leaway2

Lycrist
Wearing your HRM around the house can be quite illuminating as you watch how your HR responds to various activities.

I once took the pulse of an unwell and unfit female colleague (don't ask!) and was amazed to find thateven seated she was pumping about 78.
Don't you always have that effect on women?

400bhp

Guru
Are these gadgets or do you get useful information from them? Those that have them, how often do you use them?

I use mine on weekend rides.

They are useful for me personally, to a point. That point probably being either to tell me (i) MTFU, you are nowhere near your (anaerobic or aerobic) max and ride faster, (ii) to take the pish out of my make when his heart rate is 170 and mine is 140 and both doing the same speed, (ii) confirmation that I wasn't feeling too good when I get home and have a look at average heart rate or (iv) confirmation that I am getting fitter when I look at a particular hill on strava and notice my average heart rate is lower than previously for about the same or quicker time.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I use mine on weekend rides.

They are useful for me personally, to a point. That point probably being either to tell me (i) MTFU, you are nowhere near your (anaerobic or aerobic) max and ride faster, (ii) to take the pish out of my make when his heart rate is 170 and mine is 140 and both doing the same speed, (ii) confirmation that I wasn't feeling too good when I get home and have a look at average heart rate or (iv) confirmation that I am getting fitter when I look at a particular hill on strava and notice my average heart rate is lower than previously for about the same or quicker time.
May I ask ,what do you have? (sorry to OP for Hi-jacking).

400bhp

Guru
I have a garmin one that links into my gps unit.

We have about another 4 in the household. They are much of a muchness, albeit taking into account the points raised about storing historic heart rates for an average and ant plus.

Top Bottom