Helmet for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JE201

Regular
Hi guys, I was just wondering if anyone has used one of these helmets and if so what they are like? I will be using it for commuting on a Brompton bike in London.

https://www.evanscycles.com/abus-hyban-urban-helmet-EV323880

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ABUS-Bicycle-Helmet-Unisex-Youn-I/dp/B01N63PFJH/ref=cts_sp_2_vtp?th=1&psc=1

These are kind of in the price range I can afford right now. If anyone has any other suggestions at around this price level or below, I'm open to hearing them too!

Thanks in advance!

vickster

Legendary Member
You really need to try a helmet on to make sure it fits and is comfortable :smile:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Sad to hear that, Vickster is so right, helmets from the same manufacturer are a different shape/size, I buy mine from my LBS and I have to try a few before I get one that feels "just right", same manufacturer

vickster

Legendary Member
Unfortunately they won't let me try it on before buying due to the virus..
Ok, well make sure you buy from a place with free delivery and returns (and that will accept returns). Measure your head following the manufacturer instructions.

Look for a helmet with SNELL and CSPC accreditation and not just EN

Personally I wouldn't bother with a helmet with a built in light. Lights should be on the bike. I don't like gimmicks

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
To be fair I think helmets in this price range are much of a muchness. Obviously you want it to be comfortable so check out what padding it might have and see if it looks durable. If the supplier takes returns then if you really don’t get on with it you can return.
Also try not to get one that makes you look like The Mekon :smile:
4C1B1751-BFF5-4707-BBFE-410FAA26D5CD.jpeg

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Ok, well make sure you buy from a place with free delivery and returns (and that will accept returns). Measure your head following the manufacturer instructions.

Look for a helmet with SNELL and CSPC accreditation and not just EN

Personally I wouldn't bother with a helmet with a built in light. Lights should be on the bike. I don't like gimmicks
My bike already has a dynamo. I don't really mind if it comes with a light or not, it's more about safety and to a lesser extent how comfortable it is. Do you know if the one from Evans in my original post meets the standards you mentioned? I do not see those listed anywhere on the page.

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
To be fair I think helmets in this price range are much of a muchness. Obviously you want it to be comfortable so check out what padding it might have and see if it looks durable. If the supplier takes returns then if you really don’t get on with it you can return.
Also try not to get one that makes you look like The Mekon :smile:
View attachment 523147
They said they don't currently accept returns, but once the current situation changes then you can return items.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Safety - just think of it as something that protects you from a bit of gravel rash. PX for the win, and cheap. Postage is £4.99, so buy some other bits - they have a bike maintenance pack quite cheap with lubes in etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
My bike already has a dynamo. I don't really mind if it comes with a light or not, it's more about safety and to a lesser extent how comfortable it is. Do you know if the one from Evans in my original post meets the standards you mentioned? I do not see those listed anywhere on the page.
Check the manufacturer website.
Just checked, doesn't say, I'd buy a different brand

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I have one of PX road helmets under the bed for a rainy day!! they are good value and well made, IIRC I paid £9.99 I did buy a commuter helmet from them before, however there was no adjustment so it went back, I have a big head and the large one fits ok, however will only take a bandanna underneath and not a cap in winter, the one I wear at the mo is a Specialized in 59 to 63 that cost about £40
Get yourself over to Planet X bikes - helmets going from £10 and they are good. I've got an XC helmet, and very tempted with an enduro one soon. Just measure your head circumference, and you have a choice of medium or large.

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Safety - just think of it as something that protects you from a bit of gravel rash. PX for the win, and cheap. Postage is £4.99, so buy some other bits - they have a bike maintenance pack quite cheap with lubes in etc.
Are road helmets suitable to use for urban commuting?

Top Bottom