Helmet for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Absolutely, MTB helmets and commuter helmets tend to be a little lower at the back and may have a peak at the front, however I have commuted on the road for years using a "road helmet"

Gunk

Guru
You really need to try a helmet on to make sure it fits and is comfortable :smile:

I know it’s difficult at the moment, but buying blind off the internet just doesn’t work with helmets, I’ve just bought a new one to replace my ancient Specialized one and in the end a cheapish Decathlon Rockrider helmet was by the far the most comfortable. I must have tried on about 5 or 6 before putting this one in and just felt comfortable.

vickster

Legendary Member
I know it’s difficult at the moment, but buying blind off the internet just doesn’t work with helmets, I’ve just bought a new one to replace my ancient Specialized one and in the end a cheapish Decathlon Rockrider helmet was by the far the most comfortable. I must have tried on about 5 or 6 before putting this one in and just felt comfortable.
I have probably tried on 20 or more before settling on Uvex boss race (I have a Kask mojito to be pressed into service). I have an odd shaped head and lots of hair. The one in the OP wouldn’t work for me as it looks to cover ears

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
What is the difference between a road helmet and a mountain bike (MTB) helmet? Is it just the shape? I see the XC MTB and Carnac Notus 2/Carnac Croix road on Planet X, all three are for £19.99, and not sure how to choose between the three for my commuting helmet.

Also, why are these helmets so much cheaper than the Abus Hyban Urban or the other Abus I linked to in my original post?

Last edited:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Shape is the one, road helmets are usually lower/smaller at the back as you need the extra room if your head is up when down on the drops, MTB riders are usually more upright, price is another thing, Abus is a big brand name across a lot of gear, locks etc, PX are not, as long as the helmet meets the relevant manufacturing/use stipulations they are much the same thing, you pay extra for new technologies ie MIPS that may or not make a difference, fit is everything that has been mentioned upthread previously.
All helmets will do the same, protection in a slow speed collision, they are all designed to protect you in the same way, this is a fall from your bike, NOT a crash at speed with another vehicle, however they may help.
Vickster also posted the relevant accreditation in post 5.

Sorry I cant be more help, the most important things are fit and that it meets the relevant standards, apart from this all helmets are pretty much of a muchness in my opinion, cost is just down to what the end user is prepared to pay

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Forget about the labels, a helmet is there to do one thing, protect your head. The makers label them because they want you to buy more helmets, one for each discipline.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I only had a Giro "MTB" helmet for many many years, despite only riding road bikes for leisure and for commuting on a hybrid. I just took the peak off it as that got on my nerves, other than that peak it was not really hugely different to a road helmet. I bought that one because it fit well, most helmets don't feel right on me but this was the exception.

I've now got the POC Octal, I *think* it's a road model, but it doesn't matter to me much, I bought it because it just fits really well, that's the key thing. Oh and I liked the huge air vents, but generally speaking the more ventilation you want, the higher the cost of the helmet.

As with Vickster, my head doesn't seem to fit many helmets... it's not a size issue, more of a shape thing. I'd really encourage you to buy from somewhere where you can return it if it causes pressure anywhere on the scalp.

Once you know the makes that feels good, then the task of buying online in future is made easier, I.e. I know all of Giro's and POC's will suit me if they're big enough, but I know that say, Specialized press on my scalp in places, no matter what model.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
And a similar amount to return if no good (I think I last paid £6 or 7 to return a Catlike which was an instrument of torture, whose head is that narrow?!)
Damn, this has put me off ordering online! Is it not just a case of measuring around your head and using that? e.g. I measured mine and it is around 58-59 cm, and I would want a little room for a balaclava type head warmer in winter, so 58-61cm would be the correct choice. Or am I missing something regarding size/fit of helmets?

D

Deleted member 26715

My opinion FWIW buying blind (from the net) is never going to work with something as personal as a helmet, you really do need to go try them on, I have a couple of helmets but rarely wear them but that's another story.

But I can relate it to my last motorcycle helmet purchase, where it really is a 'crash' helmet, I went out with the idea of spending up to £600 on a new helmet, a Shoei, an Arai or one I used to like an AGV. but i could not get one that felt right, I ended up with a Nitro, still had all the same certifications as the others but l less than £200. Advantage is that you can compare apples with apples on motorcycle helmets

Top Bottom