Helmet for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
What other things would you recommend for a complete newbie (to Brompton bikes and to a lesser extent cycling in general - I used to have a bike at uni many years ago) to get? If you have links that would be really helpful too!

A good lock if you're leaving it unattended anywhere, I'd budget around 60 to 80 pounds.
A mini pump - approx 15 pounds. Needed for puncture repairs.
A track pump - around 20 pounds. You can make do with just a frame pump but having the track model at home takes all the work out of maintaining decent tyre pressure, and it should have an accurate pressure gauge.
A couple of spare tyre tubes (about 4 pounds each)
Puncture repair kit - around 3 to 5 pounds
Tyre levers if the kit doesn't come with them.
A set of hex / Allen keys and / or a good multitool - 5-8 pounds for the keys 10-15 pounds for the tool, you'll need these to do minor adjustments and to make sure all the bolts stay nice and tight.
A saddle bag to put the repair bits in - maybe 15 pounds.

vickster

Legendary Member
A good lock if you're leaving it unattended anywhere, I'd budget around 60 to 80 pounds.
A track pump - around 20 pounds. You can make do with just a frame pump but having the track model at home takes all the work out of maintaining decent tyre pressure, and it should have an accurate pressure gauge.
A set of hex / Allen keys and / or a good multitool - 5-8 pounds for the keys 10-15 pounds for the tool, you'll need these to do minor adjustments and to make sure all the bolts stay nice and tight.
Apparently Bromptons come with a mini pump.
I think a handlebar bag is more practical for a Brompton than a saddlebag on the seatpost because of the folding.
A lesson in how to fix a rear puncture on a Brompton, otherwise no need for pumps and patches :smile:

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Unfortunately they are sold out of the puncture repair kit.

The Brompton has a pump attached to it. Has anyone used/would you recommend this for the at-home pump? https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOPUTVTP/jobsworth-pump-up-the-volume-track-pump

Regarding the multi-tool, does anyone know if this one is suitable for a Brompton? (I'm not sure what size things I will need) https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOB9F/jobsworth-11-function-multitool

I don't see an option for a 16" tyre tube when I search and try to filter.

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Apparently Bromptons come with a mini pump.
I think a handlebar bag is more practical for a Brompton than a saddlebag on the seatpost because of the folding.
A lesson in how to fix a rear puncture on a Brompton, otherwise no need for pumps and patches :smile:
I'm still trying to get a login for the Brompton site. Rather frustrating!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Used to be that, if a particular brand fitted you, you could just stick with it. I had a couple of Giros which were fine in the 90s. Tried an Atmos after a few years' break and it was agony; had to sell it at a huge loss. Left a huge V-shaped welt on my forehead. A Hardnutz gave me a headache unless the strap was left dangerously loose (that one ended up being flung into a hedge when a wasp flew in through a vent and started stinging my head). I just don't wear one now.

CanucksTraveller

Used to be that, if a particular brand fitted you, you could just stick with it. I had a couple of Giros which were fine in the 90s.

Funny isn't it, I still find that maxim works! But my knowledge of Giro helmets only goes back about ten years or so, everything of theirs I've tried on in that time has felt good and of course everything can change.
I empathise completely, I find helmets very tricky to fit to my bonce, I'm restricted to 2 makes at the moment lest I end up with a headache at worst, or red welts at best.

Unfortunately they are sold out of the puncture repair kit.

The Brompton has a pump attached to it. Has anyone used/would you recommend this for the at-home pump? https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOPUTVTP/jobsworth-pump-up-the-volume-track-pump

Regarding the multi-tool, does anyone know if this one is suitable for a Brompton? (I'm not sure what size things I will need) https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOJOB9F/jobsworth-11-function-multitool

I don't see an option for a 16" tyre tube when I search and try to filter.

The track pump looks great, super price too, that will do you.

The multi tool looks fine, that will do the jobs you need for now.

Apologies, I forgot this was a Brompton... As Vickster says, learn how to fix a puncture on a Brompton, and practice, because I have no clue! 😊

@vickster
Thank you for reminding us of the bike type!

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Funny isn't it, I still find that maxim works! But my knowledge of Giro helmets only goes back about ten years or so, everything of theirs I've tried on in that time has felt good and of course everything can change.
I empathise completely, I find helmets very tricky to fit to my bonce, I'm restricted to 2 makes at the moment lest I end up with a headache at worst, or red welts at best.

Apologies, I forgot this was a Brompton... get any old puncture repair kit (tip top, park tools, whatever) and forget the tube. As Vickster says, learn how to fix a puncture on a Brompton, and practice. 😊

@vickster
It’s in the first post :whistle:

and the post you responded to and quoted :laugh::laugh:

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular

Apologies, I forgot this was a Brompton... As Vickster says, learn how to fix a puncture on a Brompton, and practice, because I have no clue! 😊

@vickster
They charge an extra £3 for delivering the pump, so total £6.99 delivery charge for helmet and pump.

CanucksTraveller

They charge an extra £3 for delivering the pump, so total £6.99 delivery charge for helmet and pump.

The pumps are quite long, that's not unreasonable I'd suppose... I've only ever bought a track pump in a bike shop and it cost about oh, 15, 17 quid? So at a 7.50 plus the extra 3 quid delivery, it's still a good deal.

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
The pumps are quite long, that's not unreasonable I'd suppose... I've only ever bought a track pump in a bike shop and it cost about oh, 15, 17 quid? So at a 7.50 plus the extra 3 quid delivery, it's still a good deal.
Yeah the one I was looking at on Amazon was ~£13 I think. Is the multi-tool definitely worth it? What exactly is it used for?

CanucksTraveller

Yeah the one I was looking at on Amazon was ~£13 I think. Is the multi-tool definitely worth it? What exactly is it used for?

If, for example, one of your headset bolts get a little loose, or if your brake mount comes loose, or if your seat needs some basic adjustment... without a basic tool these all become bike shop jobs! With a multi tool they're a 5 second job, tighten it up / adjust an angle and you're good to go.

You can learn all the basic jobs on YouTube but without even a multi tool you're stranded.

vickster

Legendary Member
If, for example, one of your headset bolts get a little loose, or if your brake mount comes loose, or if your seat needs some basic adjustment... without a basic tool these all become bike shop jobs! With a multi tool they're a 5 second job, tighten it up / adjust an angle and you're good to go.

You can learn all the basic jobs on YouTube but without even a multi tool you're stranded.
Brompton seat is on a QR given the need for ease when folding 👍

CanucksTraveller

Brompton seat is on a QR given the need for ease when folding 👍

Sure, QR seat adjustment solves one issue, but what about any other allen bolt coming a little loose?

Do you own or carry a multi tool or allen keys? I bet you do Vickster!

The OP could possibly live without, I'm just saying a multi tool is an easy fix for the most common small issues, and well worth having.

Garry A

Calibrating.....
I always keep the free Allen/hex keys I get with self assembly stuff like furniture etc. These go in my little tool kit I stick in my saddle bag. Cost nothing and are there just incase.

Top Bottom