Helmet for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sure, QR seat adjustment solves one issue, but what about any other allen bolt coming a little loose?

Do you own or carry a multi tool or allen keys? I bet you do Vickster!

The OP could possibly live without, I'm just saying a multi tool is an easy fix for the most common small issues, and well worth having.
I do but only ever to adjust the seatpost when I’ve had slippage problems. I don’t recall adjusting much else away from home :scratch:(Maybe to alleviate a weak or binding disc brake)

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
If, for example, one of your headset bolts get a little loose, or if your brake mount comes loose, or if your seat needs some basic adjustment... without a basic tool these all become bike shop jobs! With a multi tool they're a 5 second job, tighten it up / adjust an angle and you're good to go.

You can learn all the basic jobs on YouTube but without even a multi tool you're stranded.
Thanks for the helpful info. Do you know if the tools in the multi-tool I linked to above will have the correct sizes to be compatible with a Brompton? I assume they will, but wanted to check just in case.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Thanks for the helpful info. Do you know if the tools in the multi-tool I linked to above will have the correct sizes to be compatible with a Brompton? I assume they will, but wanted to check just in case.
Yes they should do, but someone with a Brompton should confirm. They're slightly unorthodox machines and I wouldn't be 100% confident that they don't use something weird... the vast, vast majority of bikes have standard allen bolts.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Its worth having a look at the specific Bromton tool kit. HERE
OK, it's a tad pricey, but it's very neat and fits very smartly into the Brompton frame.

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Its worth having a look at the specific Bromton tool kit. HERE
OK, it's a tad pricey, but it's very neat and fits very smartly into the Brompton frame.
Thanks, that is helpful. It certainly is pricey!

The multi-tool I linked to doesn't appear to have any hex bits at all, or am I missing something? Also, what is a Chaintool?
  • Chaintool (11-speed)
  • 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm Allen key
  • Torx T30 driver
  • Flat screwdriver
  • Crosshead screwdriver
vs the Brompton kit:
  • Tyre levers with 8mm and 10mm spanners
  • 15mm spanner with ratchet driver
  • Pozi and flat screwdriver bit
  • 2.5mm and 5mm hex bit
  • 3mm and 4mm hex bit
  • 2mm and 6mm hex bit
  • Puncture repair patches
  • Sandpaper

D

Deleted member 26715

Just a thought on one of those tools that has interchangeable bits, not specifically the Brompton one, I dislike them as even those that claim to be magnetic seem to lose the magnetism which means the bit falls out of the tool. Sod's law says you will either be above a grate for it to fall down, or you're on grass & then can't find it. To say they are fiddly at best is an understatement.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks, that is helpful. It certainly is pricey!

The multi-tool I linked to doesn't appear to have any hex bits at all, or am I missing something? Also, what is a Chaintool?
  • Chaintool (11-speed)
  • 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, 8mm Allen key
  • Torx T30 driver
  • Flat screwdriver
  • Crosshead screwdriver
vs the Brompton kit:
  • Tyre levers with 8mm and 10mm spanners
  • 15mm spanner with ratchet driver
  • Pozi and flat screwdriver bit
  • 2.5mm and 5mm hex bit
  • 3mm and 4mm hex bit
  • 2mm and 6mm hex bit
  • Puncture repair patches
  • Sandpaper

Pricey, but worth the money imo and I think other Bomptinistas may agree.
Chaintool is for breaking a chain apart.
Most chains these days have a reusable quick link to fasten and unfasten the chain. Some have pins where you would need a chain tool.

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Pricey, but worth the money imo and I think other Bomptinistas may agree.
Chaintool is for breaking a chain apart.
Most chains these days have a reusable quick link to fasten and unfasten the chain. Some have pins where you would need a chain tool.
So if I need all those hex bits, is there any point getting that multi-tool from Planet X since it doesn't appear to have any hex bits on it?

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular

icowden

Veteran
I think you have to ask yourself, are you the obsessive compulsive type that is going to clean and polish the bike after every commute or are you the "fix stuff if it's broken" type. If you are into bike maintenance then a cassete brush and claw tool might be handy. For most mere mortals a set of allen keys at home, the ability to repair a puncture / change your inner tube and some chain lube is probably sufficient IMHO.

Most adjustments tend to occur at home in my experience. I have never felt the need to brush my cassette or repair / adjust a chain. I did buy a tool, but mostly for the allen keys on it.

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
I think you have to ask yourself, are you the obsessive compulsive type that is going to clean and polish the bike after every commute or are you the "fix stuff if it's broken" type. If you are into bike maintenance then a cassete brush and claw tool might be handy. For most mere mortals a set of allen keys at home, the ability to repair a puncture / change your inner tube and some chain lube is probably sufficient IMHO.

Most adjustments tend to occur at home in my experience. I have never felt the need to brush my cassette or repair / adjust a chain. I did buy a tool, but mostly for the allen keys on it.
Ah, I didn't realise an allen key was a hex key! Then it would make sense to get the multi-tool from PX.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I have had some good deals from PX, however their pricing strategy can be a little chaotic to say the least, I have recently bought some Vittoria Trail Tech tyres (tubeless folding) from them, 2 pairs at £20 a pair, I have done over 1000 miles on the current pair and I am more than happy with them, every other retailer was asking north of £35 each.
As a retailer I recommend checking their web site often to get a bargain, the helmets often sell for £9.99

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
I have had some good deals from PX, however their pricing strategy can be a little chaotic to say the least, I have recently bought some Vittoria Trail Tech tyres (tubeless folding) from them, 2 pairs at £20 a pair, I have done over 1000 miles on the current pair and I am more than happy with them, every other retailer was asking north of £35 each.
As a retailer I recommend checking their web site often to get a bargain, the helmets often sell for £9.99
Do you know how often they typically restock? They have a puncture repair kit with levers but it's currently out of stock so was wondering if it's worth waiting to include that in my order.

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you know how often they typically restock? They have a puncture repair kit with levers but it's currently out of stock so was wondering if it's worth waiting to include that in my order.
Who knows at the moment!

Top Bottom