Helmet for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
The glue doesn’t stick the patch to tube. Get some park tools or lezyne quick patches but get spare tubes too
I was just googling for Bromton tubes, seem to be around £6. Do you prefer to fix the punctured tube or to just replace the tube with a new one and bin the punctured one?

vickster

Legendary Member
I was just googling for Bromton tubes, seem to be around £6. Do you prefer to fix the punctured tube or to just replace the tube with a new one and bin the punctured one?
I usually do the latter as I seem to end up with irreparable tubes or knackered valves. It’s better to try to patch, but do it at home 👍

carlosfandangus

Über Member
when I ran tubes, I still do on 2 bikes I would replace with new or pre patched tubes then fix at home, I have only used pre glued patches as a stop gap (emergency!), however I have been surprised at the amount of time they have lasted, IMO it is always a good idea to patch at home with a proper rubber patch and solution, however this is not for everyone, some repair, some don't, we are all different and have different ideas what is best, only time on the bike will tell you which umbrella you come under

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
when I ran tubes, I still do on 2 bikes I would replace with new or pre patched tubes then fix at home, I have only used pre glued patches as a stop gap (emergency!), however I have been surprised at the amount of time they have lasted, IMO it is always a good idea to patch at home with a proper rubber patch and solution, however this is not for everyone, some repair, some don't, we are all different and have different ideas what is best, only time on the bike will tell you which umbrella you come under
Thanks. When you say you "ran tubes", does that mean your tyres on some of you bikes are tubeless? How have you found riding tubeless tyres (I presume they are full rubber throughout?) compared to normal tyres?

If one gets a puncture when out riding, is it quicker to replace a tube on the side of the road than it would be to fix the puncture with a patch/puncture repair kit?

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks. When you say you "ran tubes", does that mean your tyres on some of you bikes are tubeless? How have you found riding tubeless tyres (I presume they are full rubber throughout?) compared to normal tyres?

If one gets a puncture when out riding, is it quicker to replace a tube on the side of the road than it would be to fix the puncture with a patch/puncture repair kit?
Tubeless tyres have some sort of gunky sealant, they’re not like those solid Tannus tyres.
It’s quicker just to replace with new tube especially if the hole isn’t obvious

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
My order arrived. On the pump, the gauge has a psi dial and a red dial that says "bar". What is the difference? The psi one is black and the indicator is currently at zero, whereas the bar one is red and the indicator is currently 125.

Also, on the XC MTB helmet, is it necessary to wear the visor that came with it? Is there any benefit to wearing it other than keeping the sun out of your eyes?

tom73

Guru
Helmet no you don't need to use it. Helps keep the rain off too not just the sun.
PSi and Bar are just different uint's of pressure tyres have both printed on them. Which one you use is up to you just don't change from one to other when you're still using the pump. Do you have a pic of the gauge? Are you sure it's not the bit you can set as visual guide to show you've reached the pressure you want. You set them by turning the cover on the gauge.

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Helmet no you don't need to use it. Helps keep the rain off too not just the sun.
PSi and Bar are just different uint's of pressure tyres have both printed on them. Which one you use is up to you just don't change from one to other when you're still using the pump. Do you have a pic of the gauge? Are you sure it's not the bit you can set as visual guide to show you've reached the pressure you want. You set them by turning the cover on the gauge.
I think you are right - I can twist the red indicator. How does the gauge work in terms of actually reading the psi of the tyre currently? e.g. if I pump, does it detect the level of resistance and infer what psi is already in the tyre?

Attachments

• Pump gauge.jpg
    Pump gauge.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2

carlosfandangus

Über Member
With Schrader type valves (like on a car) the gauge will register straight away, with Presta (narrow with a small insert that needs to be twisted undone,counter clockwise) it will register the pressure as soon as you start to pump, the red needle is useful to use if your dial is at the bottom of the pump and the numbers are hard to see, just set at what you want and pump until the black is level with the red

tom73

Guru
Yep that's the one you get your self so you know what pressure you are aiming for.
Best way to see how it all works is give it go. It's not complicated and quite easy. :smile:

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
With Schrader type valves (like on a car) the gauge will register straight away, with Presta (narrow with a small insert that needs to be twisted undone,counter clockwise) it will register the pressure as soon as you start to pump, the red needle is useful to use if your dial is at the bottom of the pump and the numbers are hard to see, just set at what you want and pump until the black is level with the red
Thanks, I think it is a schrader that comes with the Brompton. Is once a week enough if I cycle it ~5-6 times per week, or should I be pumping/checking it more often?

carlosfandangus

Über Member
Once a week is enough, tip though, once you have it pumped up to its optimal pressure, squeeze between your thumb and forefinger, try to remember what it feels like and a quick check before you go out takes seconds, it also means that you are not caught out with an underinflated tyre

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Once a week is enough, tip though, once you have it pumped up to its optimal pressure, squeeze between your thumb and forefinger, try to remember what it feels like and a quick check before you go out takes seconds, it also means that you are not caught out with an underinflated tyre
I'll keep that in mind, thanks so much for your help. I spent an hour on it today and an hour yesterday, really enjoying having it.

Top Bottom