Helmet for commuting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Sorry don’t mean it sound like that. More a word or two to reassure you it’s nothing to worry about :smile:
Sound like what? I meant it as genuine appreciation!

Schwalbe AV4 is the inner tube you need for a Brompton. Best to buy 2, keep one in the frame, and one at home.
The Brompton tool kit is worth the cost, as it retains the 10mm spanner which is needed, plus a few
patches.
As previously mentioned, watch the Brilliant bikes YouTube vids for front and rear wheel removal, and have a practice.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Schwalbe AV4 is the inner tube you need for a Brompton. Best to buy 2, keep one in the frame, and one at home.
The Brompton tool kit is worth the cost, as it retains the 10mm spanner which is needed, plus a few
patches.
As previously mentioned, watch the Brilliant bikes YouTube vids for fringe and rear wheel removal, and have a practice.
Thanks. What do you mean when you say "keep one in the frame"?

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
patches.
As previously mentioned, watch the Brilliant bikes YouTube vids for front and rear wheel removal, and have a practice.
Are the 10mm and 8mm spanners the only ones that you need for a Brompton? Also, on my Brompton I have the Marathon tyres, not the Marathon Racer ones. Will the AV4 tube provide the same level of puncture protection as I have at the moment? (i.e. greater than the level on the Racer tyres)

Tenkaykev

Guru
Brompton tool kit contents:
Tyre levers with integral 8mm and 10mm spanners
15mm spanner (for wheel removal) with integral ratchet driver
Pozi drive and flat head screwdriver bit
2.5mm and 5mm Allen key / hex wrench bit
3mm and 4mm Allen key / hex wrench bit
2mm and 6mm Allen key / hex wrench bit
Puncture repair patches (glueless) - use instructions are on the inside of the box
Sandpaper
All held securely in a sturdy tube

Reactions: GM
Are the 10mm and 8mm spanners the only ones that you need for a Brompton?
TenkayKev picked this up

Also, on my Brompton I have the Marathon tyres, not the Marathon Racer ones. Will the AV4 tube provide the same level of puncture protection as I have at the moment? (i.e. greater than the level on the Racer tyres)

I think the standard inner tube is a Kenda, the Schwalbe AV4 I believe is a little thicker, but the tyres perform most of the puncture protection. Especially if they’re inflated quite high.
I use the Marathon Racers, and have had 1 repair to make, in Hyde Park, on the front. But if you checkout the Brilliant Bikes or Brompton YouTube guidance at home, in the dry and war, you’ll see what is involved so that if (when) you have to do this it’ll not be new to you.
Don’t overthink this though, it is technique rather than magic!
HTH

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
Thanks GM and Tenkaykev. If I buy the 8/10mm spanner and a puncture repair kit which includes a 15mm spanner and levers, and I already have a multi-tool with allen keys on it, is the only advantage to the Brompton kit the fact that it comes in a compact pack? i.e. buying the above items separately would provide all I need at the cost of having them separate.

OP
OP
J

JE201

Regular
TenkayKev picked this up

I think the standard inner tube is a Kenda, the Schwalbe AV4 I believe is a little thicker, but the tyres perform most of the puncture protection. Especially if they’re inflated quite high.
I use the Marathon Racers, and have had 1 repair to make, in Hyde Park, on the front. But if you checkout the Brilliant Bikes or Brompton YouTube guidance at home, in the dry and war, you’ll see what is involved so that if (when) you have to do this it’ll not be new to you.
HTH
Thanks. These are the tubes you mean? I think they are the same..

https://www.brompton.com/brompton-g...r-tube-37-349-schrader-valve/c-24/c-75/p-1522

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/inner-t...18-tyres-37340-28349-to-37349-28355-to-35355/

https://brilliantbikes.co.uk/16-inch-tubes/143-brompton-schwable-av4-inner-tube.html

Tenkaykev

Guru
TenkayKev picked this up

I think the standard inner tube is a Kenda, the Schwalbe AV4 I believe is a little thinker, but the tyres perform most of the puncture protection. Especially if they’re inflated quite high.
HTH
As Stoatsngroats said it's best to get familiar with mending a puncture in the comfort of your own home.
I looked at the tutorials on Brilliant Bikes and kept promising myself to have a go at removing and reinstalling the back wheel.
Lockdown has given me that opportunity and I'm so glad I have gone through the process. The first time was awkward, especially with the chain tensioner, now I've done it a few times, most recently swapping to the new Brompton tyres from Continental I feel a lot more confident.
You could always practice the fold/unfold too, I hear the record for folding is just over 5 seconds 😯

Tenkaykev

Guru

The Schwalbe AV4 seem to be the preferred option. The tubes are individually tested and inflated for 24 hours. I've fitted them to all our Bromptons ( Mrs Tenkay and I have 2 each, one for everyday use and one for "Sunday Best" 😉)

Reactions: GM

GM

Legendary Member
Another little tip a bit off topic, while we're talking about taking wheels off. With all the bikes I have with mudguards I write my postcode in permanent marker underneath the mudguard. It might come in handy if ever it gets stolen.

Top Bottom