Helmets and falling off....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That's understandable. No joke. Now please would you consider replying to the points in post #69 instead of suggesting that I'm the one who's confused about where you posted it?

Umm, I've slightly lost track here but you and classic seemed to be having an argument whilst agreeing with each other - maybe?

classic33

Leg End Member
That's understandable. No joke. Now please would you consider replying to the points in post #69 instead of suggesting that I'm the one who's confused about where you posted it?
Awaiting a call back/response from Geraldine Gittens, having just contacted the Irish Independent over your claim that the report mentioned not existing.

It seems you've found the thread it was posted in and responded there as well.

If you're serious about it being no joke, I'm out at this point. Disability is no joke mate.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Awaiting a call back/response from Geraldine Gittens, having just contacted the Irish Independent over your claim that the report mentioned not existing.
Or rather, the report that I didn't find and asked if anyone else had. At the moment, I've no reason to doubt that it exists, but I can't comment on it in detail and I'm not sure how anyone can verify any claims made about its content?

It seems you've found the thread it was posted in and responded there as well.
Or rather, I found the other thread you posted it in and just posted a link to here, to try to keep it all together. These are in different places: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/helmets-and-falling-off.184516/post-3820673 here and https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/would-any-cycle-helmet-have-helped-here.183987/post-3818729 there.

If you're serious about it being no joke, I'm out at this point. Disability is no joke mate.
I'm serious that "That's understandable" is no joke. I have been incurably ill (which is officially a disability these days, although I think that's debatable) for a very long time. The main difference seems to be that I accept I'm sick, so I can still joke about such topics.

classic33

Leg End Member
Or rather, the report that I didn't find and asked if anyone else had. At the moment, I've no reason to doubt that it exists, but I can't comment on it in detail and I'm not sure how anyone can verify any claims made about its content?

Or rather, I found the other thread you posted it in and just posted a link to here, to try to keep it all together. These are in different places: https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/helmets-and-falling-off.184516/post-3820673 here and https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/would-any-cycle-helmet-have-helped-here.183987/post-3818729 there.

I'm serious that "That's understandable" is no joke. I have been incurably ill (which is officially a disability these days, although I think that's debatable) for a very long time. The main difference seems to be that I accept I'm sick, so I can still joke about such topics.
Born and brought up with epilepsy, which I learned to accept years ago. Jokes about it or rather attempted jokes about its impact I never have, and never will.

This is descending into mudslinging and probably lead to the thread being locked.

You did try the number in the link you gave I take it? E-mail even. I have and now await a response, from three sources tried. How many have you tried?

Yazzoo

Wow, as a relative newbie I didn't realise helmets were such a dramatic subject!

FWIW I tend not to wear a helmet if I'm just nipping to the shops or pub etc on the basket tank bike but I always wear a helmet on the roadie - think its habit mainly, compulsory for sportive and club rides and now feels odd to not be wearing one! I rode horses for years where its just automatic, however on occasion I've jumped on the odd horse without a hat if I'm teaching someone and need to show them, or bringing a horse in/out from the field etc. I'd never really thought about why I always wear one on the roadie but never the tank, maybe it's because of the speeds involved?

Last time I fell off I was going down a hill, round a corner, too fast, hit some gravel and the bike slid out from under me and I hit the deck. First thing my mother said to me when I told her later that week, "I hope you were wearing a helmet!" - which I was, however not on my hip, knee or elbow - the parts which made contact with the ground!

Obviously I'm aware that different factors in different falls/accidents/collisions etc will produce different areas of contact with different materials. I've not done the research in to the topic myself but I find the whole argument that helmets are a myth put about by cycling shops to rob us of our hard earned all seems a bit paranoid!

Anyhoo I've never looked at another cyclist and consciously noticed whether they were wearing a helmet or not - I'm normally concentrating on trying to look cool and not like I'm at all struggling whilst they coast easily by. . .

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Wow, as a relative newbie I didn't realise helmets were such a dramatic subject!

FWIW I tend not to wear a helmet if I'm just nipping to the shops or pub etc on the basket tank bike but I always wear a helmet on the roadie - think its habit mainly, compulsory for sportive and club rides and now feels odd to not be wearing one! I rode horses for years where its just automatic, however on occasion I've jumped on the odd horse without a hat if I'm teaching someone and need to show them, or bringing a horse in/out from the field etc. I'd never really thought about why I always wear one on the roadie but never the tank, maybe it's because of the speeds involved?

Last time I fell off I was going down a hill, round a corner, too fast, hit some gravel and the bike slid out from under me and I hit the deck. First thing my mother said to me when I told her later that week, "I hope you were wearing a helmet!" - which I was, however not on my hip, knee or elbow - the parts which made contact with the ground!

Obviously I'm aware that different factors in different falls/accidents/collisions etc will produce different areas of contact with different materials. I've not done the research in to the topic myself but I find the whole argument that helmets are a myth put about by cycling shops to rob us of our hard earned all seems a bit paranoid!

Anyhoo I've never looked at another cyclist and consciously noticed whether the were wearing a helmet or not - I'm normally concentrating on trying to look cool and not like I'm at all struggling whilst they coast easily by. . .
Helmets seem to fall into two camps. There seems to be very little middle ground available for a person who wants to make their own mind up on when to wear one.
Any shop that tried pressure selling, on safety grounds, wouldd soon be left.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Not sure what you mean by 'very little middle ground'? Everyone already does make up their own mind. The only trouble is that those who decide not to wear a helmet keep on getting hassled and preached at by those who have decided everyone should wear one just because they do.
Whereas nary a peep can be heard from the other lot...

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whereas nary a peep can be heard from the other lot...

lots of robust responses but rarely start the exchange

classic33

Leg End Member
The groups I ride with regularly are used to the fact that I ride bare-headed. But I can absolutely GUARANTEE that when I ride with a new group, or a new person joins in, at least one person will mention helmets to me. I've had, 'Do you not wear a helmet then?', 'Don't you like a helmet?', 'How can you ride without a helmet?', 'You're brave!', 'Did you leave your helmet at home?', and even 'Where's your helmet young woman?'

It's rude and patronising, and I'm sick of it. Wear a helmet if you want to, but keep your 'I implore you' bollocks to yourself.
Free choice has gone out the window on this. Which is annoying at times.

Herbie

Veteran
Got out today folks and managed my first 30 miles. However,

I had a bad fall halfway through the ride in the middle of traffic in Edinburgh, my left foot came out of the peddle just when I was riding along and pushing down hard about 7-8 mph and the bike slid out from under me and down I went.

Hurt my back and bruised various bits but thank god I had on my helmet, my head went back onto the road and if I didn't have it on it would have been a hospital job. The crack must have been loud as a few folk helped me back up. Only a bit pride was hurt after it all. I'd implore anyone who doesn't use one to buy one ASAP. I used to be a person who thought maybe I didn't need it all the time, now I won't ride without one!!!!!

Not one driver stopped as I lay in the cycle lane for a few minutes till I got myself sorted out.
Helmet threads have probably been done to death on here .....I wear one though but in my younger days I didn't

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
MOD NOTE:
This thread, like most Helmet 'discussions', has descended into unseemly name-calling and abuse.

It is now Locked and a number of posts have been Deleted. I would encourage those whose posts have been Deleted to consider why and not to repeat their comments and style of posting.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom