help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mickeydrippin60

Veteran
I have just got a Raleigh Esprit I was wondering if you could help me find out what year it was made. ive tried google but to no avail. So any help would be appreciated I will put some pictures up tomorrow if I get chance

raindog

er.....
Why don't you send the serial numbers to Raleigh and ask them? I've recently done that with my Italian steel.

OP
OP
mickeydrippin60

mickeydrippin60

Veteran
right i'v had a look and the only number i can see on the frame is 00192473 but that is printed on a sticker on the seat tube and there are no markings on the bb.
also it has a full sachs huret group set on it and they are from the 80's so who knows the hunt shall continue!

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
I think I'm right in saying that Sachs bought Huret in 1980; in turn Sachs were taken over by Mannesman in 1987.

I guess that there would have been a little overlap while stock was used up etc., so 1981 - 88 seems a fair bet for your Esprit.

Scilly Suffolk

Über Member
Just a thought, but are the hubs Maillard?

If so they use a plain date code, being two pairs of numbers: the first pair is the week of manufacture, the second is the year.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
and on the back of the brake calipers you should see a date ring .

so long as hubs and brakes are original they should be close to each other

OP
OP
mickeydrippin60

mickeydrippin60

Veteran
well EYE've looked at the wheels and breaks and EYE would guess 88 cos that's what it says on them both EYE'll work out how to shrink pictures one day and put some on

OP
OP
mickeydrippin60

mickeydrippin60

Veteran
WP_000328.jpg
WP_000329.jpg
WP_000331.jpg
WP_000334.jpg
WP_000335.jpg
WP_000336.jpg
WP_000327.jpg

johnvile

I've just done one up (Half done one up) still need new wheels. Its my first Racer since I was a kid. Its great fun.
Mine to says 88 on that bit also.

DSCF9318.JPG

Left over parts include reflectors and mini mud guards that protect the brake rather than my soaking wet arse when I tried it.

Top Bottom