High mileage bike ( what's yours done to date)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
Am I reading that right. 225000 kilometres!!!.Now that is some serious time In the saddle. Well impressed.
That's what I thought. He must have had it since he was about 9.

DRHysted

Guru
Allez bought 2011, 11000 everything apart from the frame and handle bars has been replaced though.
Day one decade bought 2016, 4500, replaced chainset and rear sprocket because the rear hub needed replacing and we couldn’t match the old hub & 3 sets of brake pads.
Roubaix bought 2014, 4200 replaced group set twice, once from wear, once form damage.
Croix de fer bought July, 700, chain has just hit .75 so will replace next week.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
My Boardman Team Carbon covered just over 20 000 miles in 7 1/2 years before being scrapped. None of the other bikes have got anywhere close yet, the nearest being the Ventus used mainly for commuting which is on around 5000 miles after 2 years.

12,400 miles for my Madone before a crack in the frame stopped it. Much of it had been changed due to wear n tear over that time.

Special mention must go to the pedals through which were brought across from an earlier bike and so probably have about 18,000miles in them!

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Well my 25 year old Super Galaxy is a bit like triggers broom, the only thing that's not been replaced through wearing out is the actual frame, oh and the seatpost. The frame is actually on it's fourth paint job now. The first set of wheels finally wore through the rims in the middle of a ride from the Lake District to the Picos mountains in Spain. Made a few of the descents in the Pyrenees interesting, fully loaded on broken rims!

Mileage wise I've never kept track sadly, I would hazard a guess of over 100,000miles. During my twenties I had no driving licence so it was my only transport. I lived in the sticks, so would think nothing of cycling 40 odd mile round trip to pick up the shopping for the week. Just lots of short trips everywhere to see friends or pick things up as well as much longer leisure rides.

I was out Sunday morning as well, only a short 20 miler though this time.

[QUOTE 5011235, member: 9609"]140,000 mile ? over how many years?
how on earth could you part with a bike that you had spent so much time with ?

I think mine is probably somewhere between 60 and 70 thousand miles (29 years) I couldn't part with it for anything - I had to ride someone elses bike or 8 mile a few weeks back and it felt as though I was having an affair - it was awful, I felt guilty.
View attachment 380036 [/QUOTE]
From approximately 1998* to early 2014. I moved to Scotland where a bike that cannot fit mudguards is useless and took the pragmatic approach. I saw the bike in January this year and it had done about 500m (meters) since. I also sold my MTB that I had even longer, with an unknown number of high miles on it. The little computer I had on that bike failed several times and I lost my mileage count.
In all those years I only broke one spoke but I went through a box of chains (50) on both bikes. I bought the box wholesale shortly before I acquired the two bikes and other than the odd chain I gave away or fitted to my wife's bike, I consumed the entire box. Like a box of chocolates, if you like.
The spoke that broke failed for a reason that I understood and could attribute to a build slip-up.

*I can't pinpoint the start date but CAAD4 was just introduced and I got one of the first frames.

8500 miles on my Kuota Kharma - a paltry total due to in not being used for 3 years due to injury.
Cassettes, chain, cables , saddle is all ive changed.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Some seriously impressive mileage totals here, which put my 11,300 on my Sirrus since March 2013 to shame. It is now on its 3rd set of front rings and rear cassettes, and its 4th chain (is that called the chainset?), and the rear wheel is currently being repaired after I found some damage to it last week.

My old Rockhopper, bought in 1998, has covered 4,500 miles, the Defy 1,500 and the Ribble 500, so about 18,000 miles in total on the bikes I own now.

I spread the mileage amongst my bikes. I think the one with the most miles on it, is probably the Triban 520. I could only guess at the mileage, but I reckon it’s covered over 25000 miles. Most bits that have been replaced, have been because of upgrades or trying new bits of kit out ( a test mule ).

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I've had my main steed, a Kalkhoff hybrid for 10 years now and have now clocked up 31,196 miles so far. Not a huge annual mileage but it does seem to be creeping up each year.

Top Bottom