High mileage bike ( what's yours done to date)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My old Carlton has done probably over 100,000 miles, I've had it from about 78 but could 'borrow' it before then. I then had motorbikes from 80 to 81until I bought my first house so couldn't afford them so it was back to the pushbike as my only vehicle (commuting 14 miles a day,6 days a week minimum)
Sold the house after splitting with my fiancé in 85 so back to motorbikes for a couple of years til it got nicked then back to the Carlton as my only vehicle (After an extensive rebuild) until 2001 when I began assembling my current 'collection'.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm another one who spreads mileage across bikes.
The bike which covered the most was the Pinnacle Pyrolite Commuter which did 23,000 which I bought in April 14 and swapped over April this year to the PX Ti, which has done just over 5,000 miles to date.
My Van Nich has done Just under 20,000 since purchased Oct 2012. I have no plans at all to get rid of this bike, a 'bike for life' if you will, so it will be seeing some more good mileage in the future.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Hi again.
We all know that bikes can last for many many years if simple maintenance is carried out , and its got me thinking as to how many miles has your bike racked up over the years and what point have you had to replace any worn out parts on it. Some members here may of had there bikes for many years and could imagine that they've got some monumental mileage under there belts. As my bike was second hand I will never know for sure what its done but since I,ve had it ,I've now covered nearing up to 4k without any major problems.
All the best
Johnny
2550 miles done on my Genesis. Not bad considering I brought it mid-June this year.

Bodhbh

Guru
Suppose frames don't wear out, just the longer you have them the more likely some mischeif will occur to them. I didn't keep track but did at least 10k miles on my 2003 Rockhopper till the frame got snapped in the plane hold. I don't ride as much now and with 4 bikes it's split between them, doubt anything has don't much more than 3k miles.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
5k on the previous second-hand GT Avalanche - before the frame started to crack
Less than 200 miles on the most recent second-hand GT Avalanche frame - and a crack appearing already :sad: Pot luck I suppose

Only done 700 miles on the Virtue, but I only commute on that in the summer, and MTB/Mud/Snow in the winter

GuyBoden

Guru
I have three 1980's Reynold's steel bikes, the frames seem to last forever with good maintenance, I put linseed oil into the frames to stop them rusting internally and swish it about.

My fav components are the late 1980's Shimano 600 tricolour, which also seem to last forever and work very well.

I've pedalled about 5000 miles this year, I use two bikes, a wet (mudguards) and a dry bike (no mudguards), the other bike is for looking at only.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
5k on the previous second-hand GT Avalanche - before the frame started to crack
Less than 200 miles on the most recent second-hand GT Avalanche frame - and a crack appearing already :sad: Pot luck I suppose

Surprised at this as GT MTB frames are generally very robust and my GT hybrid is very similar to the MTB style frame.
Where have these frames cracked?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My old raleigh is 34 years old,i know i did about 140 miles a week in the first 10 years but no idea how many miles since then,with a lowest gear of 42/28 and living in a hilly area the older i get the less i use it.
My Carlton has 42/25 as the lowest, god knows how I ever got up some hills on it.

heliphil

Guru
my Merlin MTB has just under 30,000 miles on my fitness tracker account but that doesn't account for the first 10 years of its life - and its a bit like Triggers old broom as many parts ( apart from the frame) have been worn out / replaced

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Age does not come alone
Still went for a 25 on the TT bike I built up 10yrs or so ago but at least that has a 39 on the front,

DSCN0056.JPG

and a 653 frame.

BTW the 10spd is almost a 'corncob', the first 7 gears are 1 tooth difference then they are 2 tooth for 21/23/25.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Surprised at this as GT MTB frames are generally very robust and my GT hybrid is very similar to the MTB style frame.
Where have these frames cracked?

If you do a Google image search on "GT Avalanche frame cracking" and look at the first and fourth images, for reference....

The first frame (a 2005 Avalanche 2.0 Disc) cracked around the head tube. At first I thought it was an elaborate scratch. I didn't think cracks could appear across a weld. After some Googling - I found pics of the near-exact same cracks in other's frames. Quite a common place to crack apparently

The latest frame (a 2007 Avalanche 2.0) is developing a crack around the weld between the BB shell and the seat tube. Again, a common place for them to go.

If these were steel frames, I wouldn't worry so much - just get them welded back up. But when Alloy frames go, they give very little warning and it's not worth welding these when I only pay between £20 and £40 for a second hand frame anyway.

This will probably be the last time I buy a second hand frame in alloy. At the moment, I am looking at buying a new steel frame - probably an On One Inbred

presta

Guru
Well my 25 year old Super Galaxy is a bit like triggers broom, the only thing that's not been replaced through wearing out is the actual frame
That was the first to go on my Horizon, it only lasted 159 miles. Dawes didn't tighten the bottom bracket fully, so it worked loose and chewed all the thread out of the frame.

Top Bottom