High mileage bike ( what's yours done to date)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
My mileage is spread over several bikes. I'd done just over 41,000 miles on the Tricross over three years before it died, its replacement has done just over 5,000 miles in 4 months. The Allez which I bought in 2013 is an agonising 85 miles short of 20,000 miles.

13 rider

Guru
My 13 hybrid has 7042 miles on it still running original Cassette chain ring and tyres 1 new chain but will need all new drivetrain soon riding it to destruction now while it all still works and wears together. All since Sept 2014
Giant roadie has done 11811 by me and 38 by previous owner Since June 2015 , 3rd chain 2nd cassatte and new cables once

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
If you do a Google image search on "GT Avalanche frame cracking" and look at the first and fourth images, for reference....

The first frame (a 2005 Avalanche 2.0 Disc) cracked around the head tube. At first I thought it was an elaborate scratch. I didn't think cracks could appear across a weld. After some Googling - I found pics of the near-exact same cracks in other's frames. Quite a common place to crack apparently

The latest frame (a 2007 Avalanche 2.0) is developing a crack around the weld between the BB shell and the seat tube. Again, a common place for them to go.

If these were steel frames, I wouldn't worry so much - just get them welded back up. But when Alloy frames go, they give very little warning and it's not worth welding these when I only pay between £20 and £40 for a second hand frame anyway.

This will probably be the last time I buy a second hand frame in alloy. At the moment, I am looking at buying a new steel frame - probably an On One Inbred
Wow, not what I was expecting. My 1994 Zaskar is still good despite the abuse I give it, as mentioned the hybrid is just a rock, but we have two 2015 Avalanches in the house for oldest son and wife. Wife's bike won't ever do enough to develop cracks so I guess I will just have to keep an eye on the son's bike because he does a bit more stuff!

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Wow, not what I was expecting. My 1994 Zaskar is still good despite the abuse I give it, as mentioned the hybrid is just a rock, but we have two 2015 Avalanches in the house for oldest son and wife. Wife's bike won't ever do enough to develop cracks so I guess I will just have to keep an eye on the son's bike because he does a bit more stuff!

That's probably a good idea. You have the advantage of knowing what kind of life the frame has had, if it was looked after and how it was stored. With second hand, you take your chances and hope for the best.

As I mentioned (because I run 26 inch) this will probably be the last 2nd hand GT (or any other) frame I will buy, because most alloy 26ers are now 10+ years old.

I have very little choice on the "new" market though (within budget reason) so it looks like an Inbred will be the next frame

Heigue'r

Veteran
Giant tcr..3750 miles since june
Replaced tyres and brakepads at 1400miles..replaced tyres again at 2000 miles..cut to ribbons..replaced wheelset at 2400 miles and treated them to new tyres and brakepads.bearings shot and the wheelset itself never stayed true.Replaced tyres and pads again around 3200 miles.Replaced chain at 3500 miles.new chain was slipping and was going to change cassette but its not slipping anymore.Brake blocks need changing shortly.
Replaced left hand shifter after a little accident.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Bought in Jan 2012, the Vantage has done 12,031 miles. Only 990 this year. It sucks.
The only remaining original parts besides the frame and fork are the front mech, STI units, cantilevers and seatpost collar.
The Raleigh lasted 1400 miles before I got tired of its s*** handling.

bpsmith

Veteran
From approximately 1998* to early 2014. I moved to Scotland where a bike that cannot fit mudguards is useless and took the pragmatic approach. I saw the bike in January this year and it had done about 500m (meters) since. I also sold my MTB that I had even longer, with an unknown number of high miles on it. The little computer I had on that bike failed several times and I lost my mileage count.
In all those years I only broke one spoke but I went through a box of chains (50) on both bikes. I bought the box wholesale shortly before I acquired the two bikes and other than the odd chain I gave away or fitted to my wife's bike, I consumed the entire box. Like a box of chocolates, if you like.
The spoke that broke failed for a reason that I understood and could attribute to a build slip-up.

*I can't pinpoint the start date but CAAD4 was just introduced and I got one of the first frames.
8,750 miles on average, every year for 16 years.

That's impressive, I have to give that to you.

pclay

Veteran
Cannonade synapse alloy 2014 model. In 4 years it has covered 12,250 miles. Still on original crankset.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Wow.Some of you guys/gals have racked up some serious mileages on your trusty steeds.
With all the accumulated miles put together, this place has undoubtedly got to be the best community for any novice ( like my self) to gain expertise advice off fellow cyclists. Well impressed and frankly shocked at the amazing miles you have done. :-)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Road bike is up to about 78,000 miles. Mountain bike around 17,000 miles. Not really sure about my other bikes as I often ride them without a GPS mounted and I do not keep paper records.

fatjel

Veteran
My Boardman team carbon has done near 9000 km but has new everything except frame and brakes.
The Spa Audax has done 6000 ish with zero maintenance except I oiled the chain once when it got rusty
I had a Giant Defy in 2015 which pretty near disintegrated after about 9 months

classic33

Leg End Member
Didn't make it the nine miles home with one bike, close but not quite. Rear triangle snapped, putting me in the road, and having to push it the last 50 odd yards.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Highest mileage eat present is my commuter/high street bike, Boardman CX Team. Bought late 2014 it's now covered 7,603 miles. It's had a few chains, new cassette and bottom bracket plus tyres.
Planet-X RT58 is next nearest with 3,394 miles from new in July 2015. Other than chain it's original.

Top Bottom