Holding up other vehicles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Is there a specific interpretation which should or could be applied to Highway Code 169

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

Just a general question, haven't had any incidents, well, I had one about 12 months ago where a passenger shouted out that slower moving vehicles should move to the side, I was maybe a little more billigerent than I would be normally in this case as the driver had started beeping as soon as he came up behind me in a country lane.
Just wondering really :smile:

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Is there a specific interpretation which should or could be applied to Highway Code 169

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

Just a general question, haven't had any incidents, well, I had one about 12 months ago where a passenger shouted out that slower moving vehicles should move to the side, I was maybe a little more billigerent than I would be normally in this case as the driver had started beeping as soon as he came up behind me in a country lane.
Just wondering really :smile:

driving- we dont drive bikes, we ride them

problem solved

Salis

Regular
I think that's really intended for tractors and the like. I have to say that, living in Wiltshire and commuting often on the A36, I've not seen a single tractor, horse-transporter or HGV follow that bit of the Highway Code - they generally seem to prefer leading a parade for 20 miles

Brandane

Legendary Member
Oh yeah, didn't even notice that :smile:
You could well be right, so we can have a queue behind us as long as we like?

Technically, yes. However, I personally would try and facilitate letting them pass if it is reasonably practical to do so. Otherwise it is giving vehicle drivers even more fuel for their negative attitudes towards cyclists. Much more so than certain other habits that get done to death on these boards (and seem to provoke some OTT emotions in some people), which I don't see as such a big deal. :whistle:

Its only common courtesy IMO to move over and tbh who would want that individual who is prone to road rage getting fustrated behind you for long. I do look for a safe place though and whilst from some people you get a polite thanks when you do and 99% of folk don't even realise, you do get the odd idiot who is upset that you held them up for 3-4secs until you saw a safe spot.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I think that's really intended for tractors and the like. I have to say that, living in Wiltshire and commuting often on the A36, I've not seen a single tractor, horse-transporter or HGV follow that bit of the Highway Code - they generally seem to prefer leading a parade for 20 miles

Yes - same here with the addition of Quad bike riding farmers slowly inspecting the stock in their fields.

All have the skin of a Rhino and imo are just plain ignorant.

GrasB

Veteran

The answer is in the rule it's self. Generally if it's difficult/unsafe to pass you should take up primary & pull in to let a queue of traffic to pass when it's safe, not only to stop but also start again. The upshot is while you could pull into a field gate just after a sharp corner blocking your view of the traffic behind it's not actually safe to do so. If that means that motorists have to travel at your speed for a bit then so-be it.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I agree entirely with the common courtesy replies, my tongue was firmly in my cheek when I suggested we could have an enormous queue behind us. Common sense I would suggest would probably be the answer to "long queue" conundrum.

Cycling Dan

Cycle Crazy
I personally will move in left where its safe to do so. Only if im going slower than 10mph is which unlikely(uphill I will not move in for obvious reason. Before the hill I might given the following) and this has to be along with there not being anywhere to overtake. If its possible to overtake I see no reason to move in. If both of them things are filled i will move in left where I can- most likely a bus stop. Although if the driver is beeping or swearing at me etc I will not move in and make them wait.
Normally I give a wave along with this for patient drivers and normally get the wave back.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I pull over when and where I think it is safe to stop and start again. As per GrasB. For me a long queue is a dozen cars or so. Two or three ain't even a queue let alone a long queue.

If there isn't anywhere safe to stop/start then primary it is until there is somewhere. And I won't signal the pulling over to the left as that just invites chummy at the head of the queue to squeeze pass.

I drive. If I can be patient behind slower moving vehicles, including cyclists, so can other drivers. Hard it ain't.

Briancampbell

Big issue with our club at present. 40 riders on a club run... Splitting into 3 groups but not easy at times. Majority of motorists think cyclists are not allowed to cycle 2 abreast. Even 10 riders in single file is a long distance for a car to get past. So singling out doesn't necessarily help. HC says if a road user wants to overtake let them. Ideally we should pull over if there is a big tailback but on country lanes not that easy.

Nebulous

Guru
A lot of the roads I'm on dont have a lot of traffic. Cars tend to squeeze past even when something is coming. If there is a bigger vehicle that hasn't had a chance then I will pull over.

Tractor drivers do sometimes get done for holding up traffic here. Not very often, but enough to make them wary. Most of them wil pull over when they feel the frustration building. There was a case in the Highlands a couple of years ago where a tourist going slowly, on a single track road with passing places, refused to let a local pass who was trying to get to his work. This continued for something like 15-20 miles. The person was charged, pled guilty, was represented by a solicitor and the Sherriff demanded he appear in person. That in itself was quite a penalty, having to travel several hundred miles with at least one overnight stay to appear in court.

Top Bottom