Holiday bookings & Coronavirus...how are we affected?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Julia9054 mentioned not having purchased travel insurance before booking train tickets.

I wanted to mention my understanding is one should have travel insurance in place before making any bookings. If the insurance cover is not in place prior to booking future claims could be tricky.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
@Julia9054 mentioned not having purchased travel insurance before booking train tickets.

I wanted to mention my understanding is one should have travel insurance in place before making any bookings. If the insurance cover is not in place prior to booking future claims could be tricky.

Yes, that is my understanding too. But... we never bother with travel insurance... live dangerously ;)

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Booked a cruise and paid in full a week before the corona virus hit the news :blush: visiting south of France and Spain . Hope it’s ok :rolleyes:

Julia9054

Guru
Yes, that is my understanding too. But... we never bother with travel insurance... live dangerously ;)
Same here. But then we never do package holidays and generally travel on the cheap. Bit of a scare last year when Al ended up in a&e in France. All covered on EHIC card - out of pocket by about £100 for antibiotics and injections. Could have been worse so perhaps we are not young and invincible any more. Was intending getting travel insurance this year for medical emergencies rather than for cancellations

vickster

Legendary Member
That's fine as long as you have plenty of readies in the bank in case something goes wrong. 😀
A few million if you're going anywhere in the Americas or Caribbean would be sensible

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Same here. But then we never do package holidays and generally travel on the cheap. Bit of a scare last year when Al ended up in a&e in France. All covered on EHIC card - out of pocket by about £100 for antibiotics and injections. Could have been worse so perhaps we are not young and invincible any more. Was intending getting travel insurance this year for medical emergencies rather than for cancellations

Yes, sounds familiar. We (usually) travel "independently", in UK and mainland Europe, by car or motorhome. Over past 30 years, have had cause to use medical services (via EHIC) twice. Once, when wife fell off bicycle in France, and, broke tooth, dental services (crown required) were cheaper than same services in UK, so we actually scored on that one. On another occasion I was hospitalised in southern Spain with suspected heart problem. Spent day having various medication and tests. No charges levied at all. On that occasion, I did not actually have my EHIC card on my person, they accepted my Photocard driving licence as proof of entitlement to treatment. The biggest problem on that occasion, was having to find our way back to where ambulance had picked me up, and, find our way back to bus station ;) All of this may well change now of course, which, given our medical history, will probably mean, no more travelling, sadly.

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
On that occasion, I did not actually have my EHIC card on my person, they accepted my Photocard driving licence as proof of entitlement to treatment.
Good to know. Got a slightly panicky text from younger son last May "Mum, I'm in Amsterdam and have just noticed that my EHIC card is out of date! Will it matter?"
My reply was "Bugger - we are in Belgium and having just checked, turns out so are ours! Let's all try not to get ill!"

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sorry... could not resist...

It reminded me of an incident with my youngest daughter, a few years ago, when a volcano in Iceland erupted and caused flights to be grounded, in various places.

I forget exact details now, but.......

I remember it well. Got stuck on holiday for an extra week - all for free. It would have been great, but on the first day of our extended holiday, I was having a water fight with the kids and 'ran' next to the pool. You can guess, I slipped, and broke my ribs. I couldn't lie down due to the pain, so spent the rest of the week propped up on the settee in the hotel room.

Last edited:
You might be able to swap to another destination with same company for only an admin (where would be difficult to predict thought)

I have the Algarve booked in Oct - without insurance ! Is only a cheapo self C though.

Wait and see would seem to be best option in short term.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
You might be able to swap to another destination with same company for only an admin (where would be difficult to predict thought)

I have the Algarve booked in Oct - without insurance ! Is only a cheapo self C though.

Wait and see would seem to be best option in short term.
When we booked for Sri Lanka, we had just paid the deposit when the shootings and nastiness happened last Easter. The Foreign office advice instantly changed to do not travel. If you do travel against the advice any travel insurance is void. The company we booked through, Audley Travel, got back to us within a couple of days, but we had already decided to wait and see what was going to happen as the year went on. The travel company said that when ever we made our decision, we could either have a full refund, or, choose a different destination using the deposit we had paid already.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
It is hard to know whether to be worried or just shrug your shoulders and say "So what"? It is spreading, but appears to be no more deadly than Flu which comes round every year and disappears after a few months. In fact many people won't even know they've got the virus as they can have it without any ill effects.

On the other hand it could be a lot worse, who knows? The media do like to report the worst case scenario as absolute fact,quoting the experts who support that view and ignoring the one's who don't.

Top Bottom