Holiday bookings & Coronavirus...how are we affected?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Yes, sounds familiar. We (usually) travel "independently", in UK and mainland Europe, by car or motorhome. Over past 30 years, have had cause to use medical services (via EHIC) twice. Once, when wife fell off bicycle in France, and, broke tooth, dental services (crown required) were cheaper than same services in UK, so we actually scored on that one. On another occasion I was hospitalised in southern Spain with suspected heart problem. Spent day having various medication and tests. No charges levied at all. On that occasion, I did not actually have my EHIC card on my person, they accepted my Photocard driving licence as proof of entitlement to treatment. The biggest problem on that occasion, was having to find our way back to where ambulance had picked me up, and, find our way back to bus station ;) All of this may well change now of course, which, given our medical history, will probably mean, no more travelling, sadly.
For years we traveled in Europe without cover until we needed to travel to South Africa. Obviously insurance was needed for this trip and I discovered an annual joint policy was cheaper than single trip.

If your "no more travelling" comment is a concern over insurance let me say this. I have epilepsy, heart attack 2014 and a brain haemorrhage 2019 (a big one, 10 hours surgery).

We have world wide annual cover, including the USA, for +/-£450 - it increased from £250 after the haemorrhage. The company is World First. We have claimed through them for a cancelled trip - paid up without a murmur.

The trick is to make the healthier individual the policy holder and add the other as a named individual. You must declare absolutely everything.

I realise £450 is a lot of money but feel it's a small price to pay to be able to travel with full cover - which we need more and more as we get older.

It is hard to know whether to be worried or just shrug your shoulders and say "So what"? It is spreading, but appears to be no more deadly than Flu which comes round every year and disappears after a few months. In fact many people won't even know they've got the virus as they can have it without any ill effects.

On the other hand it could be a lot worse, who knows? The media do like to report the worst case scenario as absolute fact,quoting the experts who support that view and ignoring the one's who don't.

They don't lock down whole cities for flu.

The mortality rate is around 2% flu is around 0.15%.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
For years we traveled in Europe without cover until we needed to travel to South Africa. Obviously insurance was needed for this trip and I discovered an annual joint policy was cheaper than single trip.

If your "no more travelling" comment is a concern over insurance let me say this. I have epilepsy, heart attack 2014 and a brain haemorrhage 2019 (a big one, 10 hours surgery).

We have world wide annual cover, including the USA, for +/-£450 - it increased from £250 after the haemorrhage. The company is World First. We have claimed through them for a cancelled trip - paid up without a murmur.

The trick is to make the healthier individual the policy holder and add the other as a named individual. You must declare absolutely everything.

I realise £450 is a lot of money but feel it's a small price to pay to be able to travel with full cover - which we need more and more as we get older.
Thank you for the tip. I will check it out, but, we don’t have a “healthy” one ;)

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
But the vulnerable (and lots of people around them) get vaccinated against flu, which presumably reduces the death rate
That may be true, and perhaps if they develop a vaccine for Covid-19 the mortality rate will fall in line with other flu strains. However that doesnt alter the fact that right now there is a very significant difference in the mortality rates.

But the vulnerable (and lots of people around them) get vaccinated against flu, which presumably reduces the death rate
I wouldn't think it does - the vaccine for seasonal flu stops you getting flu in the first place - if you get seasonal flu it has a 0.15% mortality rate

There is no vaccine for coronavirus - so you are more likely to get it - and the fatality rate is higher so its a double whammy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Hard to know who that is in our case.
Me = severe asthma but very well controlled with drugs.
Al = high blood pressure well controlled with drugs!
I recommend you try a company called Insure With. Set up by a woman who found it difficult to get insurance after cancer.....they are very helpful. As an eg shortly after my cancer op 2 companies wouldn't touch me and a 3rd wanted a BIG £1000.00. Insure did if.... £83.00 for the two of us.

lane

Veteran
On R4 at the weekend many have smallprint that when WHO declare some worldwide event no refunds are then payable. Post Office insurance for one.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hard to know who that is in our case.
Me = severe asthma but very well controlled with drugs.
Al = high blood pressure well controlled with drugs!
Mrs P has asthma but not severe. When I called World First after hearing the medical details they advised putting her forward as the policy holder. I guess they would do the same with anyone.

lane

Veteran
They don't lock down whole cities for flu.

The mortality rate is around 2% flu is around 0.15%.

Yes that and often with flu some of the population will have some immunity. Vaccinations for flu are for those most likely to die so I guess that makes a massive difference.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
NOT another Coronavirus thread.
We booked 2 weeks in Majorca and paid in full. I also paid for insurance.
This morning Italy seems to be facing melt down with severe restriction on movement.
I have a strong feeling this is just starting.
So......were do we stand re holiday cancellations? Who decides when they can be cancelled with full repayment ?
I assume that I cannot just decide 'no thankyou' and cancel?
Any thoughts?
Listen to the last half of R4 PM prog this evening, covered a lot of this stuff.

Top Bottom