Holiday bookings & Coronavirus...how are we affected?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
My summer holiday.
Town twinning trip to Bebra, Germany in August. We were then not going back with the rest of the group but going on by rail to Munich, Innsbruck and the Dolomites and flying home from Munich. I was rather hoping that travel restrictions would be lifted by August.
Today the town twinning committee announced that the trip to Bebra was off. I now have half a holiday which starts in Munich!

We are due to visit Cornwall in July, and due to pay the balance next month. Waiting to see what, if any, lock down relaxations are granted...
Also a weekend booked at Butlins in November. Wait and see on that one.

pawl

Legendary Member
We were due to go to a cottage we booked for the 4th May in the Cotswolds booked through Character Cottages.No chance of a refund from them as they are a booking agency.

Booking changed to same time next year at no extra cost Also offering vouchers to for the original booking price at the same or alternative properties for 2021,

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Just a flight to Ireland end of June. I wait to see what happens and if lockdowns still in force, see what Ryan Air offers. The original event is cancelled but if lockdown lifted sufficiently in both countries I’d like to cycle back from Ireland to my house. It’s a waiting game right now. Nothing to be done.

gbb

Legendary Member
Booked for Turkey In August. Part paid, £900 to pay In the next few weeks I think.
It's a conundrum, the uncertainty. Dont pay, you lose it. Do pay, do we want to go ?..not really now...and it's a wonderful hotel and staff, been there twice already. Even if Jet2 go bust we'd get our money back but if they dont, expect them (and the rest of them) to play silly buggers with giving anything but a refund.

We're not even that bothered about losing £800 already paid but are bothered about Jet2 gaining so it's really just a matter of paying then see how it pans out.

vickster

Legendary Member
Booked for Turkey In August. Part paid, £900 to pay In the next few weeks I think.
It's a conundrum, the uncertainty. Dont pay, you lose it. Do pay, do we want to go ?..not really now...and it's a wonderful hotel and staff, been there twice already. Even if Jet2 go bust we'd get our money back but if they dont, expect them (and the rest of them) to play silly buggers with giving anything but a refund.

We're not even that bothered about losing £800 already paid but are bothered about Jet2 gaining so it's really just a matter of paying then see how it pans out.
Did you take insurance out at the time of booking, before March? Check the terms of the policy to see if you'd be covered if the holiday is cancelled.
if you don’t want to go however, and the holiday still goes ahead, you’d forfeit your deposit

13 rider

Guru
We are due to visit Cornwall in July, and due to pay the balance next month. Waiting to see what, if any, lock down relaxations are granted...
Also a weekend booked at Butlins in November. Wait and see on that one.
I'm off to Cornwall in July hopefully . I have email our accommodation which is a small family run business and they are prepared to wait for payment until things become clearer .
My trip to Sweden for a cycling event is cancelled . Have lost £20 on cancellation fee of accommodation don't mind that . Half my event fee again no biggy. Still waiting for Ryan air to cancel the flights before I go down the insurance route

dodgy

We have a place booked in the French Alps early July and have also made enquiries for other places in the alps for August in case July is off.
We had a long chat yesterday and came to the conclusion that even if travel is permitted, what would a holiday look like in July or even August? I don't fancy having to queue in face masks in searing heat for essentials and finding that any bars that are open don't exactly fill me with confidence to visit.
Consequently, we have decided to call all our plans off. Really saddened, we visit the alps every July for many years, but it's where we are :sad:
At least I still have a job, we're gifting our deposit to the chalet owner and won't even attempt to ask for it back. 🤷‍♂️:rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 26715

We are supposed to be going to Florida in October, we don't want to go, but trying to find anything out is proving problematic, we have prepaid Disney tickets for the specific 2 weeks, but each time I try to phone them I get the message that you are now in a queue the waiting time is.....62 minutes, I've even had 85 minutes. I know I need to speak to them to find out if they can bump the tickets to next year but the thought of over an hour of music on hold is just too much. Once we find out what is happening with them I can then approach TUI to see what they will do, it seems a no win chicken & egg situation currently.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Our holiday for the first 2 weeks of August is booked and confirmed for sunny Cornwall .....(alternative weather is possible ).
Booked it yesterday morning, confirmation received late yesterday afternoon ... and not an automatic reply , an email from the proprietor welcoming us back to their site .....9 weeks and counting ....
The wifes family are all from Camborne, Truro and Penzance and they are all seething at the "bloody emmets ... retired here and telling us what to do " theme ...
Wealthy Cornish based politicians and retired incomers can whine on all they want about keeping Cornwall closed but the Cornish that rely on tourism to live want it opened .. pronto..
The Cornish working in the public sector .. at home on full salaries .. would love the status quo to carry on forever ...:rolleyes:
The owners of the site we go to are all Cornish , born and bred ..and want their living back .... Julies family ... in recruitment, building and reliant on an open fishing industry, want the county open ....
1st of July has been given by Cornwall Council / Tourism Cornwall as the date for change to an open holiday season .... so mote it be!
We normally spend 1 long weekend at our caravan in Redruth every month, year round, and 6 weeks in the summer ... with family from up country coming and going .... The children have missed their "Cornwall time" this year

(As previously posted in the McDonalds thread ) ..

screenman

Legendary Member
Just a flight to Ireland end of June. I wait to see what happens and if lockdowns still in force, see what Ryan Air offers. The original event is cancelled but if lockdown lifted sufficiently in both countries I’d like to cycle back from Ireland to my house. It’s a waiting game right now. Nothing to be done.

If you do FB there is an section on there about Ryanair refunds, put it this way be in for a long fight.

screenman

Legendary Member
Turkey booked for September I expect to not be there, also have £300 worth of Ryanair vouchers here that are ulikely to be used. Bit sad the vouchers as they were an Xmas pressie from one of the kids.

D

Deleted member 26715

This thread prompted me to call Disney, got through after 45 minutes of music, tickets are all being extended to 31st September 2021 automatically, just hope TUI is as accommodating

Top Bottom