Holy Grail - a comfortable saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blimpnoddle

I've never been able to find a comfortable saddle. A DIY sitbones width measurement (cardboard and chalk) shows they're quite wide, around 135mm (male btw), but when I try wider saddles for wider sitbones they're nearly always more uncomfortable than narrower saddles - more inner thigh chafing.

Any help or advice to find a comfortable saddle would be really appreciated.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

OP
OP
B

blimpnoddle

OUCH!!!!!!!! I know lots of people swear by them but I find Brooks saddles very uncomfortable. Too hard and unforgiving.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You have asked a question that cannot be really answered. Saddles are such a personal thing that what suits me, may not suit you. One of the immediate answers you will get is Brooks saddles. I have 2 a woman's Imperial saddle and a mans B17 saddle. The Imperial was bought in error for 8 pounds off e bay and the first time I used it was to ride a 100 miler and it was great. My B17 was literally a pain in the butt for 18 months and then once worn in it was great. Some people get on with Brooks, some don't and they can take an age to break in, or be great out of the box. Some people never get on with them and they are an expensive mistake to make.

I have now changed to a Charge Pan and rode 130km on Saturday and 50km this morning and the saddle is great. It is also a much cheaper mistake to make. It is fitted to my carbon road bike and looks good.

2016-06-07%2010.55.36_zpspeaesy8k.jpg

Don't fall for the mistake of adding gel pads to the seat or having a softer seat. That will not help. A good set of padded cycling shorts is the better option. I use padded MTB shorts a lot of the time.

Sorry this is not much help but you just need to keep searching for your special saddle.

OP
OP
B

blimpnoddle

I've tried to break a Brooks in over a number of longish rides and it was a pretty painful experience and it was still uncomfortable at the end. For me a saddle needs to be comfortable from the off.

I avoid the mistake of gel pads etc etc - learnt the hard way - things move around more and cause more rubbing.

PS - The Charge Spoon is the saddle I'm using at the moment but it's not comfortable. Bought it due to rave reviews and as has been said by others, not an expensive mistake if it's uncomfortable.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Brooks B17 standard is the most wonderful and comfortable place I can put my bum, it lives on my best bike and changes as that does. Plenty of TLC and minor tweak to nose tension made it supremely comfortable almost from the start.

B17 narrow, 98.975% as good but it took a lot more work and breaking in to get there.

Bums and Brooks saddles are both unique but a match made in heaven even if it takes a bit of a honeymoon period to get there.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Saddles are quite a personal dilemma. Brooks saddles are great, but they do take an age to break in, but the Cambium may be helpful in this case. That being said, the Charge line of saddles has gotten mainly positive comments from those who use them. For me, I use a wider saddle for the upright bicycles like the Fuji Crosstown, and a narrower one for the Trek 600, an old Con-Cor that came with it. It's white, so I don't wish to change it, as the bicycle is quite completely 1985.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
New Brooks Pre-Cambium period saddle ....

stonesaddle.jpeg

Globalti

Legendary Member
It takes a while for your arse to be broken into a Brooks...

...but once it does it is bliss!

Not quite right; a leather saddle suspended between two bits of steel just sags to fit your bottom. Same as new leather walking boots used to after you'd done that first wet walk in them.

No saddle will be comfortable if you haven't got the position, height and angle right.

U

User33236

Several years ago I wan't getting on with the stock saddle on my Cannondale and looked around for potential replacements. I hit lucky first time when I got an almost new Fizik Ardea for £15 on eBay. One now lives on all my bikes.

Top Bottom