Holy Grail - a comfortable saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've tried to break a Brooks in over a number of longish rides and it was a pretty painful experience and it was still uncomfortable at the end.
That could be what you are doing wrong. I think a better breaking in strategy would be shorter rides, but more of them. On the other hand, it could be that you just aren't the correct shape for a Brooks.
FWIW I have 3 bikes. In order of comfort: A Specialized Secteur with a Brooks B17 narrow; a Tricross with a standard B17; and a MTB with a Charge Spoon.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Fizik Arione is also very comfortable.
My third choice ...,

raleighnut

Legendary Member
That could be what you are doing wrong. I think a better breaking in strategy would be shorter rides, but more of them. On the other hand, it could be that you just aren't the correct shape for a Brooks.
FWIW I have 3 bikes. In order of comfort: A Specialized Secteur with a Brooks B17 narrow; a Tricross with a standard B17; and a MTB with a Charge Spoon.
I find my most comfortable is the B17narrow but I was given a 70s B5n and that is good too.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
image.png
Charge Spoon are well regarded by many, £17.98 delivered from Tredz. Not a lot of cash to try out, if it's not suitable you'll be able to sell it on here or on eBay for not a lot less.
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Charge-Spoo...gle_shopping&gclid=COvuvfrwlc0CFYTGGwodrF4H9A

OP
OP
B

blimpnoddle

As I said on page one, Charge Spoon is my current saddle. Great price, great looks, just doesn't feel so great when I'm riding.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
As per previous threads, I repeat, Brooks saddles are wrought by demons from the knotted spiky bum leather of Satan himself. I'd rather sit on the seat tube. Sharpened.

tobykenobi

Über Member
I think I posted this before, but it's worth doing the sit-bones measuring thing. Possibly by a bike shop. Here goes:

My bike came with a standard Cannondale road saddle which got painful after about 45 mins. Went into Evans recently and sat on a bit of foam on a wooden bar to allow the assistant to measure my "sit bones". It may have been undignified but worked. Have done 2 hour plus rides since and the difference is very noticeable. I am "aware" of the saddle but no real discomfort.

Definitely worth doing the sit-on-the-pad bit. Otherwise I think you're just guessing. I went for a Specialized Toupe sport (figured for £25 it wasn't the end of the world if it didn't work out) as I'd had a Specialized BG saddle before on my touring bike and got on well with it. The saddle comes in two widths and the pad measurement suggested I go for the wider of the two options.

Top Bottom