Holy Grail - a comfortable saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
Several years ago I wan't getting on with the stock saddle on my Cannondale and looked around for potential replacements. I hit lucky first time when I got an almost new Fizik Ardea for £15 on eBay. One now lives on all my bikes.
That was a stroke of luck, others might find them ardea, ard there and ard everywhere else.
The op might try out the Brooks cambium range, stockists have test saddles they loan. I recently got a c15 and once I got the set up right it was comfy from the off

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I must be very lucky as I've always been okay with the stock saddles that have come with my bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
@tobykenobi the OP suggests sit bones have been measured, you don't have to use the Specialized arsometer

The test you describe is hardly undignified...assuming you were wearing cycling shorts and not naked!!
try being a woman every 3/5 years!! More so if having children!!

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
I rode a B17 for years as a youngster, then a Turbo gel of some sort (I don't think that was ever all that comfortable, but it did say Turbo on it), later in life I tried a B17 again and for the life of me I couldn't deal with it at all. I've now got two Charge Spoons. I was thinking of 'upgrading' the one on the fancy bike, but then I thought why change something that isn't broken :biggrin: ? This comment is useless to OP I know.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I've tried to break a Brooks in over a number of longish rides and it was a pretty painful experience and it was still uncomfortable at the end. For me a saddle needs to be comfortable from the off.

I avoid the mistake of gel pads etc etc - learnt the hard way - things move around more and cause more rubbing.

PS - The Charge Spoon is the saddle I'm using at the moment but it's not comfortable. Bought it due to rave reviews and as has been said by others, not an expensive mistake if it's uncomfortable.

I have both the Charge Spoon and the Charge Pan. I think the Pan is the more comfortable and it looks good on a road bike or a touring bike.

20160607_103817_zpscv6gglpm.jpg

Custom24

Über Member
My LBS has a demo saddle program. They have a range of demo saddles you can borrow one at a time for a couple of weeks each. You put down a deposit

In my case, I didn't find anything more comfortable than the original saddles on my bikes, so I eventually used the deposit to buy a nice rain jacket, although I think they would have refunded the deposit had I asked

But it might work for the OP - phone around some bike shops

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
You've got an iron arse with the miles you do getting lost going to work and back every day ! :tongue:

I really should buy a map

midlife

Guru
Selle Italia Criterium

photo_07.jpg

Hard to come by nowadays and fabulously expensive NOS.........

Shaun

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Is 135mm that wide?

Anyway, I have five comfy saddles at the moment and I suspect the Lycett is as comfortable for all width below some limit. I posted a thread on here a while ago somewhere.

Slightly off topic, do people (once they find a saddle they like) retrofit the same saddle to all their bikes?

I'm asking as I find my Selle Italia saddle on my Px that little bit nicer than the stock Trek one on my other bike. I'm considering getting a matching saddle.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Slightly off topic, do people (once they find a saddle they like) retrofit the same saddle to all their bikes?
Sadly not. Your ideal saddle may change with riding position, especially for plastic ones. What's comfortable on a road bike probably won't be on a roadster.

Also, by the time I've tested one extensively enough to be happy with it, it's probably discontinued unless it's a classic :laugh:

U

User33236

I'm asking as I find my Selle Italia saddle on my Px that little bit nicer than the stock Trek one on my other bike. I'm considering getting a matching saddle.
I have with mine, mix of road and hybrid bikes. Mind you I don't go for a full race position which probably makes things easier.

Top Bottom