Home D.I.Y.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
after many years dancing around the idea, finally splurged on a cordless drill. wasn't easy finding an inexpensive, brand name unit, that included battery & charger
Ryobi cordless drill 4-21-21.jpg

the final straw for the decision, was Daughter's work project. so naturally Daddy needed a new dril ... ?

Daughter got to Christen the new drill for her project. an outdoor chaulkboard in her school's garden. "students are happier outside"
IMG_6621.JPG

IMG_6629.JPG

she painted cement board w/ special paint. it works great!

D

Deleted member 26715

Daughter got to Christen the new drill for her project. an outdoor chaulkboard in her school's garden. "students are happier outside"
I love that, despite the whole every student needs to got to University theme which appears to be the current trend, there is a whole swath of students/children/teenagers/victims or whatever the current trendy word is that are not academically inclined, the school system is forgetting about them.

Anyway my Home DIY was a humour/irony bypass of fitting guttering in the persistent rain!!

So the big Bank Holiday project was to install insulation under the floor of my Victorian terrace front room. Got all the bits for a suitable system inc wood fibre insulation, draft proof membrane for below and moisture membrane above + various tapes, primers, screws.
Managed to pull the boards up with only some damage to woodwormy bits and a few splits. Have been gluing the split ones.
Took down some newer bricks on top of the old hearth which we can now tile level with the floor.
The joists are a bit wonky ( seems to be an original feature built in.) which might be OK for reinstalling old boards but not if we want a modern floor. Trying to level them.
I contructed a duct for the air brick to channel air underneath the joists and insulation.

At every stage there seems to be some tricky problem to solve.
Someone even built a masonry wall to infill a door, on top of the floorboards! I really cant start demolishing walls now so have to work around, maintaining support. 20210503_170702.jpg

Trickedem

Guru
View attachment 581589
the bottom sash was in quite good condition. I have chopped out the rotten edge with a router and prepared a new piece of wood cut from an old door. This is going to be glued and screwed into place.
The top sash was in great condition and it was simply a case of of re-puttying the glass into place. Looks like it is going to take a couple of weeks for this to cure sufficiently so I can paint it though.
IMG_20210422_151129.jpg

Job complete. All nicely draughtproofed with special brushes fitted on the beads etc. plus the window now opens, which it hadn't for over 20 years. I had to replace some of the glass, which meant I needed new weights. I am very pleased with the result, which cost way less than fitting a new PVC window.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
1620241440781.jpeg

Bought these guttering clamps for the shed and will be fitting them tmrw. One side is going into a water butt and the other side directly into the compost heap……….

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've had a busy few weekends and another few to come. Finished my partners fence 2 weeks ago, 16 metres of feather edge boards and concrete posts. Then levelled a seating area and barrowed a ton of chippings through the back gate. Made 3 18inch square planters which were more trouble than I anticipated. 2 weeks time I've got to do my neighbors fence, only 8 metres of feather edge this time. Then when that's done I have to wallpaper my lounge, fit new skirting boards and then get the carpet fitted. Oh and put new curtains in my son's room. After all that I'm looking forward to some lazy weekends!

So I have done 1/2 the front room. It it is a tricky job but not rocket science. Im sure it all goes easily on new builds but on old victorian terraces there are problemettes at every stage.

View attachment 588042

View attachment 588043
The paper top left is a note left under the floorboards for anyone who needs to access under this system.

Hicky

Guru
We've been given two tyres by the f/inlaw at request so "we" can make planters. Has anyone else done this?
He's pva'd them and apparently they're ready for paint.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Restoring the Victorian front door. You can see where the original letterbox was, between the glass panels. I've ordered a horizontal lock which will move the door-knob back to its original position away from the edge of the door. E has decided we shouldn't paint it again, so clean up & varnish next. Then there's the outside to do.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I replaced 4 taps in the bathroom on Sunday. First two on the sink had isolation valves so turned them off and swapped them with no dramas. Popped the bath panel off and found no valves so had to drain the hot and cold down which was easy enough then swapped the taps over and repressurised. Left the bath panel off for a while to check no puddles formed :laugh: When I went back to check there was a small weep from one of sink isolation valves so I drained down again and swapped both for new ones, all sorted now :laugh:

Top Bottom