Home improvements - time the house had some TLC!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
@JhnBssll, I see you still have baby locks on the fridge-freezer. Is that to keep you out the fridge and hard at work, can never open the dam things. Ha ha 😂😂

We don't even have kids :laugh: I fitted them about 18 months ago to settle an argument after the fridge was left open yet again and all the food spoiled... Someone was adamant that it opened itself, seemingly always after the wine had been retrieved. I fitted the child locks to prevent this magic self-opening and yet somehow it stills happens 😋 A mystery we'll surely never solve :rolleyes:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
We went out for a nice meal this evening with my parents, returning around 9.20pm. 10 minutes later a DIY-Kitchens van parked up outside and delivered the replacement sink corner unit :laugh: I couldn't help but feel for the driver who is now parking up at a local hotel only to start again in the morning... The van was full of damaged items being returned too so they've obviously got some fairly significant problems right now :wacko:

I unpacked it immediately and couldn't resist a test fit :laugh:

It's coming together slowly :laugh: The arrival of this unit means I can now do a little more plumbing over the weekend and get this bolted to the wall, with suitable holes cut in the back for access to the isolation valves and drainage etc. Exciting times...

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I have spent most of the day in the kitchen fettling the new sink unit :laugh: This one is a tad more tricky to get in and I'm determined to get it as neat as possible :laugh: The new composite sink arrived this morning which helped significantly as I was no longer working off drawings and had something to physically lift in and out.

The sink unit's as standard have less structure than the normal units to allow space for services. If, like me, you are wanting to install a composite under-counter sink and don't have a worktop to bond it to yet this causes a minor issue :laugh: I knew I was going to have to modify it somehow so I'd kept the original damaged unit to rob for materials :okay:

First off I positioned the unit where it needed to go and marked/cut/drilled holes in the back to line up with the stopcock and isolation valves. With the unit in position and with the help of mrsbssll we then worked out exactly where we wanted the sink and tap to be before I started chopping the unit about :laugh: Next job was to mark, cut and route the front crossmember to support the front of the sink...

This left the crossmember fairly thin at the front above the door opening, so I cut a length of material from the old unit and glued/screwed it underneath at the top of the door opening to reinforce it. I then had to support the back of the sink - I figured the easiest way to achieve this would be to cut a strip off the shelf from the old unit and glue/screw it in across the back in the correct position, so that's exactly what I did...

And here it is with the sink test fitted...

Job's a goodun :okay: It seemed solid so I moved on to the next phase, cutting a few more holes for access to a socket where the wine cooler and dishwasher plug in and a hole for the dishwasher waste pipe, plus a hole for the main sink waste. At this point I also extended the hot and cold pipework up above the back of the unit ready to attach the tap connectors :okay: With this all done I moved it back in to position, levelled it and screwed it in place 😄

The sink came with a kit of parts to make up the waste system so I got to work mocking that up this evening, unfortunately I'm 2 elbows short of finishing it but pleased with progress none the less. It's certainly tidier than the old pipework :laugh:+

Here it is when I'd finished for the day. I've got the end panel to cut and fit and will also try and get the dishwasher door and fill panel done tomorrow 😊

irw

Quadricyclist
The sink came with a kit of parts to make up the waste system so I got to work mocking that up this evening, unfortunately I'm 2 elbows short of finishing it but pleased with progress none the less. It's certainly tidier than the old pipework :laugh:+

View attachment 615717

Don't forget to take into account that when you fit the worktop, the waste pipes will sit 40mm (or however thick your worktop will be) higher!

DAMHIKT :dry:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Don't forget to take into account that when you fit the worktop, the waste pipes will sit 40mm (or however thick your worktop will be) higher!

DAMHIKT :dry:

It's ok, we're safe - it's an under-counter sink so will be bonded to the underside of the worktop not the top, it's in it's final position now 😊

I decided to fit the dishwasher door earlier so that's done now too :becool:

OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
Looking good John, don’t you usually fit the handle to door before attaching it to the dishwasher?

That would be the normal order of events, yes. Unfortunately our chief handle chooser has been shirking their duties so I've fitted the door without for now. The dishwasher was quite flexible without this fitted and I was concerned it would get damaged if used without for too long :laugh: Having worked with the handle chooser before I'm aware it could be some time before a decision is reached 😋

Top Bottom