Home insurance legal expenses cover

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Hi All,

Haven't been on here for ages, so hi again. Unfortunately I now have a pressing employment matter for which legal advice is going to be most desirable. The solicitor I have been using has suggested I check my house insurance to see if I have legal expenses to cover their costs. I have found that I actually do (M&S home insurance) so could claim the solicitors costs on this.

However my question to the forum is that if I were to try to claim for the employment solicitors costs on this legal expenses policy attached to my home insurance would they cover it as it is an employment matter and not home related, and secondly if they did agree to cover my solicitors costs would my renewal premium for my home insurance next year rise substantially as they would view me availing myself of this legal expenses cover as a claim and penalise me accordingly. Also would it reduce my no claims entitlement as I have years and years and years of no claims.

Anyone who has any experience or advice of such legal expenses policies bolted onto their house insurance or who has indeed used the legal expense cover attached to their M&S home policy and claimed on them for such a matter would go along way to easing my anxiety and much appreciated. Debating whether to claim on such a policy or fund solicitors costs out of my own pocket seems bizarre given the legal expenses cover will at present be costing me money.

Any advice or peoples' own experiences of a similar situation would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Ask your insurance company. It should know what is covered and whether a claim will affect your premiums. It will also confirm how much excess you've got on your policy.

I was rather hoping not to make such a direct approach without first having some idea of what consequences could unfold. Imho if insurers smell the slightest whiff of "claim" even if you do not claim or it isn't even covered by them, then any excuse, the B$%@$£&s will still increase the renewal premium .........

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The LE section may well be underwritten by a different company from the main bit. NCD on household is more of a marketing gimmick than a risk assessment tool.

Brains

Legendary Member
I also think it depends on the amount, if it's loads that you are going to claim, them any increase in annual fees may be insignificant in comparison, remember if they increase it too much you simply take your business elsewhere (unless your property is built on a flood plane with a history of heave and subsidence next to a nuclear reactor)

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I act for clients with this sort of policy and it is great. They get to keep all of any tribunal award or settlement and I get paid by the insurer. It is a bolt-on and doesn't as far as I know affect renewal premiums. You have the right to choose your own lawyer if you are at the point of needing to issue your claim. Whether the insurer will offer a sensible hourly rate rather than a claims processing factory full of paralegals rate, is a different matter though..

Top Bottom