How can I grease these old Raleigh pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
I've got an old Raleigh Shopper, on which one of the pedals sounds quite dry when I spin it. I'd like to grease it but I don't see any outside cap on the spindle which I could prise off or unscrew to get access to a nut for further dismantling.

shopperpedal.jpg

Can anyone please suggest a method?

Drago

Legendary Member
Remove them, and dismandle them from the threaded end.

OP
OP
rrarider

rrarider

Veteran
There is nothing to undo on the inside. The threaded part with the hex socket and the piece with the flats are all one piece.

pedalinside.jpg

si_c

Guru
They are a relatively modern design, given the hex-wrench axle. Also there are two hex-bolts either side of the spindle. Given that there is no lock nut on the inside, I'd suggest one of the following two probably holds:

• The cap on the end of the axle is a dust cap and you hadn't worked out how to get it off properly
  • Removing the two allen bolts will allow you to remove the single piece end
Either way you will find a nut to undo somewhere.

OP
OP
rrarider

rrarider

Veteran
They are a relatively modern design, given the hex-wrench axle. Also there are two hex-bolts either side of the spindle. Given that there is no lock nut on the inside, I'd suggest one of the following two probably holds:

• The cap on the end of the axle is a dust cap and you hadn't worked out how to get it off properly
  • Removing the two allen bolts will allow you to remove the single piece end
Either way you will find a nut to undo somewhere.
There are not two 'hex-bolts' either side of the spindle, they are just rivet heads with dimples in them.
pedalclose.jpg

You are right that I haven't worked out how to remove the dust cap, as I haven't mastered the art of telekinesis yet.

si_c

Guru
There are not two 'hex-bolts' either side of the spindle, they are just rivet heads with dimples in them. View attachment 427763

You are right that I haven't worked out how to remove the dust cap, as I haven't mastered the art of telekinesis yet.

Dammit, they looked like hex bolts to me from the first photo. There must be a way to disassemble :/

si_c

Guru
drill out the rivets? replace when greased.

or warm the grease and pour it in, this could get messy - we need images or recording

If they can't be disassembled then I think it will be easier to just replace them. Possibly cheaper in the long run also as you're less likely to ruin furniture with warm grease :whistle:

Perhaps something like these.

OP
OP
rrarider

rrarider

Veteran
Thanks all, I've come to the conclusion that they were built not to come apart. They're not giving any trouble at the moment, so I'll just use them until they need replacing. As @si_c mentioned, rubber platform pedals are quite cheap. The bike is a 1982 model which obviously has had very light use and was kept in a warm dry environment. as there's no rust on it. I only paid £45 for it and all I've needed to do was replace the perished tyres and clean the chain.

I think the pedals are just cheap and nasty models which may not have been original items as they have 'made in Germany' stamped on them; in 1982 Germany had not been re-unified. Looking from the threaded end I can see the steel balls in the race, so I think I'll just squirt a bit of oil in, to stop them going rusty.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks all, I've come to the conclusion that they were built not to come apart. They're not giving any trouble at the moment, so I'll just use them until they need replacing. As @si_c mentioned, rubber platform pedals are quite cheap. The bike is a 1982 model which obviously has had very light use and was kept in a warm dry environment. as there's no rust on it. I only paid £45 for it and all I've needed to do was replace the perished tyres and clean the chain.

I think the pedals are just cheap and nasty models which may not have been original items as they have 'made in Germany' stamped on them; in 1982 Germany had not been re-unified. Looking from the threaded end I can see the steel balls in the race, so I think I'll just squirt a bit of oil in, to stop them going rusty.
Use a good thick oil, 90 weight axle oil should do it.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Try using some "Wurth HHS 2000" spray grease, when the solvent evaporates it leaves a sticky grease.
We used it for lubing car door hinges and check straps.
"Wurth" also do one with PTFE.

Top Bottom