How do you navigate.

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by derrick, 1 Mar 2018.

?

What do you use to navigate

Poll closed 23 Apr 2018.
  1. Garmin

32 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. Wahoo

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. Lezyne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bryton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Cateye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Polar

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. Other

20 vote(s)
    17.5%
  8. Follow your nosw

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. Follow your nose

45 vote(s)
    39.5%
  10. Phone

18 vote(s)
    15.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

What do you use to navigate while on the bike?
    Cannot edit the nosw one.:wacko:
    Local club rides i know all the routes so no problem, Have a few 100 milers in my head, but am planning new routes, so am using gps for them.

Last edited: 1 Mar 2018
  2. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Seat of my pants and follow my nose

With a quick look on google maps if using a new route

3. dave r

dave r The Little Diesel

I've been pedalling the local lanes for over thirty years so know most routes to the cafe's I use regularly, if I'm going somewhere new or taking part in an event I'll spend some time on Google maps learning the route.

4. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

if I'm out of my area I use a paper map. and sometimes (if its just a simple reminder) I may even take a photo of the map then can view it on the camera review.

5. vickster

vickster Legendary Member

Mostly I'm going somewhere familiar, otherwise I follow road or cycle route signs, occasionally garmin

6. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

Wahoo, but OS maps have a special place in my kit list.

7. Reiver

Reiver Legendary Member

google maps and streetview are excellent for that, just go through the various junctions the night before and I will remember well the following day when there in reality.

8. Drago

Drago Guru

I use a sextant.

9. A Garmin as back up, to a phone with Strava, which are backed up with an OS map, and a compass.

10. IPhone.

11. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Veteran

I rode from Sussex to Istanbul once pretty much by guess and by golly, often with no maps at all - sometimes with a locally bought map. I got there, not by the most direct route - as I could see later when I saw a map of Europe - but I had the pleasure of discovery and didn’t wander too far off a sensible line. On those occasions when .i did have maos it was always fun to ride off the edge of them and wonder where I was heading...

12. BudgieBike

BudgieBike Active Member

Depends on legs/weather/mood what direction I take

13. jayonabike

jayonabike Powered by caffeine & whisky

New routes I use Garmin, I know most of the decent roads for cycling around here so follow my nose on most rides

14. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

I've got a Garmin, but I know most of the roads and lanes I'll typically ride so well that I rarely use the navigation function - about the only times I've actually used that have been on organised rides or sportives with a published route that have been off my usual patch.
    When I first got the Garmin I faffed about plotting routes on it, but soon discovered that I'd normally fancy going somewhere different when I was out so that didn't last long.
    And I've got a phone with GPS and Google Maps.

Plus I've got a reasonably good sense of direction, which if I combine that with a look at where I'm planning on going on Google maps the night before I'll have a fairly good idea and only rarely have to refer to the tech to find my way. Usually...

classic33 and Old jon like this.
  15. Echolocation, when I can't see the stars.

theclaud, Alan O, Dogtrousers and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice