• Follow your nosw

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Follow your nose

Votes: 45 39.5%
  • Phone

Votes: 18 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lozz360

Veteran
I use a Garmin 520 or just ride roads I am familiar with. The pole only allows one choice, although there are a number ways one might navigate.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Plan out route by Google My Maps, export to Cyclemeter on iPhone. Cyclemeter doesn’t have turn-by-turn navigation so a lot is done by memory, road signs and occasionally checking the map on Cyclemeter.

I like to explore though so if I see an unfamiliar road or bridleway, chances are I’ll follow it just to see where it goes. To much Star Trek as a kid, I guess.

snorri

Legendary Member
Paper maps and compass when far from home, I know all the roads within 100 miles or so of home.
Although I have found the Garmin handy for getting back to base after a few hours of aimlessly exploring new territory.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I have LOTS of set routes around here, so I never really need to resort to maps. But if I do...I usually use Google Maps on my tablet. :hyper:

Will Spin

Über Member
If I'm going somewhere new I check and memorise the route on the OS maps and also use google street view to identify landmarks before turnings etc.

fatjel

Veteran
If I'm doing an audax or going somewhere I don't know I'll ue a garmin 200.
Often use GPX files to validate DIY audax where I have been known to use 2x 200 Garmins and a 520
With my iphone as back up.. Jut in case you understand
Anker power packs ensure they don't go flat

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Anything up to 30 miles it's very unlikely I don't know the route anyway

Longer rides I'll plan it with ridewithgps and download to my Garmin which bleeps at me whenever I need to turn off the road I'm on. Preplanning the route lie this means I can make sure I go on the little lanes that look interesting on a map and explore a bit

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I bought my Garmin Etrex way back in 2006 after seeing the route for a 200 km audax event that I had signed up for in Cheshire and discovering that there were over 200 junctions to deal with. I had done an earlier 200 km route with only about 50 junctions and had spent so much of my time looking at the route sheet that I hardly noticed the scenery and despite my best efforts, nearly got lost a couple of times.

With the help of my trusty Etrex, I navigated the route with no problems whatsoever and spent the whole day helping other audax riders with their navigation!

Top Bottom