1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do you navigate.

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by derrick, 1 Mar 2018.

What do you use to navigate

This poll will close on 23 Apr 2018 at 11:43.
  1. Garmin

32 vote(s)
  2. Wahoo

5 vote(s)
  3. Lezyne

0 vote(s)
  4. Bryton

0 vote(s)
  5. Cateye

0 vote(s)
  6. Polar

1 vote(s)
  7. Other

20 vote(s)
  8. Follow your nosw

5 vote(s)
  9. Follow your nose

45 vote(s)
  10. Phone

18 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

Signs, memory and osmand voice prompts in some combination. Non-cycling signs in this country often try to mislead you onto quasimotorways, though.
  2. Vantage

Vantage The dogs chew toy

I know my local routes from memory but the etrex20 comes with me at all times in case I go exploring. It's got me home a number of times...no sense of direction here.
    classic33 likes this.
  3. fatjel

fatjel Über Member

If I'm doing an audax or going somewhere I don't know I'll ue a garmin 200.
    Often use GPX files to validate DIY audax where I have been known to use 2x 200 Garmins and a 520
    With my iphone as back up.. Jut in case you understand
    Anker power packs ensure they don't go flat
  4. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

Anything up to 30 miles it's very unlikely I don't know the route anyway

Longer rides I'll plan it with ridewithgps and download to my Garmin which bleeps at me whenever I need to turn off the road I'm on. Preplanning the route lie this means I can make sure I go on the little lanes that look interesting on a map and explore a bit
    ColinJ likes this.
  5. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

I bought my Garmin Etrex way back in 2006 after seeing the route for a 200 km audax event that I had signed up for in Cheshire and discovering that there were over 200 junctions to deal with. I had done an earlier 200 km route with only about 50 junctions and had spent so much of my time looking at the route sheet that I hardly noticed the scenery and despite my best efforts, nearly got lost a couple of times.

With the help of my trusty Etrex, I navigated the route with no problems whatsoever and spent the whole day helping other audax riders with their navigation!
  6. mgs315

mgs315 Active Member

Wing it mostly. Road signs, follow buses/read bus stops, pay attention to the direction of shadows and time of day, that kinda thing. I get my phone out when time is of the essence but it’s great fun suddenly cycling from somewhere you don’t recognise into somewhere you do. Good for working out alternative routes to the main drag.
  7. pawl

pawl Veteran

My nose has a bend in it.Could this be the reason I keep riding round in circles.Perhaps I should find a velodrome to ride on
  8. Depends what time constraints are or familiarity. If I am wanting to get somewhere fast I'll put the route in my garmin and follow. Similarly if its in a brand new area I'll follow the garmin (I may take a paper map too). But if I'm not time constrained and its an area I'm familiar with I tend to follow my nose.
  9. GuyBoden

GuyBoden Fat, old bloke, on an old bike, pedalling slowly.

You've not listed paper maps, the most commonly used navigation aid.
    classic33, alicat, HLaB and 2 others like this.
  10. bigjim

bigjim Veteran

Manchester. UK
    Take a paper map but use Osmand on smartphone in or near towns to take me out the other side. Google maps won't work offline using cycle routes. Osmand is great for turn by turn directions, but it does use a lot of battery. I used to use an old Garmin Legend which works fine, but I struggle to see the screen on the move. I've noticed a lot of road signs seem to be disappearing lately which is I suppose due to Authority's assuming everybody is using satnav.
  11. Gixxerman

Gixxerman Veteran

Market Rasen
    If it is a local route then I generally know the roads well enough to just wing it, and extend / shorten the route depending on weather, inclanation and energy.
    If I am planning a longer route on unknown roads, I plan the route using bikehike / OS maps and make a route card using my own version of shorthand, and write it down on a scrap of paper. I then either stick it in my pocket or attach it in a plastic wallet to my stem using a bulldog clip. I used the latter method for my C2C and it worked like a charm.
    Heltor Chasca and raleighnut like this.
  12. the stupid one

the stupid one Well-Known Member

Online maps and Streetview to plan a route, a small piece of card with a list of roads/junctions/turnings in my pocket.

I live on the coast in Wirral, so I'm familiar-ish with most places as far as Chester, and beyond that isn't yet within my capabilities. A few wrong turnings won't get me into too much trouble.
  13. JhnBssll

JhnBssll Well-Known Member

To date I've relied on local knowledge and a good sense of direction :laugh: Back in November I caved and ordered a Hammerhead Karoo on pre-order. The first units are now out in the wild (and getting a mixed reception due to software bugs and glitches!) but mine isn't likely to arrive for another month or so. It's a new device and I'm confident it will be great once the software matures :becool:

Hopefully :laugh:
  14. I use Garmin, Wahoo, phone and paper maps. The Wahoo is a game changer though. So simple to use either by plotting on the PC at home or out in the field on the phone using Komoot.
  15. GilesM

GilesM Guru

East Lothian
    If I'm on unfamiliar roads, I use OS maps downloaded on my Android phone, works really well, paper maps have lots of advantages, but a phone you can hold in one hand is much easier to look at while you're riding along, especially if its windy.