• Follow your nosw

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Follow your nose

Votes: 45 39.5%
  • Phone

Votes: 18 15.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mgs315

Wing it mostly. Road signs, follow buses/read bus stops, pay attention to the direction of shadows and time of day, that kinda thing. I get my phone out when time is of the essence but it’s great fun suddenly cycling from somewhere you don’t recognise into somewhere you do. Good for working out alternative routes to the main drag.

pawl

Legendary Member
Follow my nose 90% of the time. Garmin Etrex backed up with a good old fashioned map if I'm in an unknown area.

My nose has a bend in it.Could this be the reason I keep riding round in circles.Perhaps I should find a velodrome to ride on

Depends what time constraints are or familiarity. If I am wanting to get somewhere fast I'll put the route in my garmin and follow. Similarly if its in a brand new area I'll follow the garmin (I may take a paper map too). But if I'm not time constrained and its an area I'm familiar with I tend to follow my nose.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Take a paper map but use Osmand on smartphone in or near towns to take me out the other side. Google maps won't work offline using cycle routes. Osmand is great for turn by turn directions, but it does use a lot of battery. I used to use an old Garmin Legend which works fine, but I struggle to see the screen on the move. I've noticed a lot of road signs seem to be disappearing lately which is I suppose due to Authority's assuming everybody is using satnav.

Gixxerman

Guru
If it is a local route then I generally know the roads well enough to just wing it, and extend / shorten the route depending on weather, inclanation and energy.
If I am planning a longer route on unknown roads, I plan the route using bikehike / OS maps and make a route card using my own version of shorthand, and write it down on a scrap of paper. I then either stick it in my pocket or attach it in a plastic wallet to my stem using a bulldog clip. I used the latter method for my C2C and it worked like a charm.

the stupid one

Über Member
Online maps and Streetview to plan a route, a small piece of card with a list of roads/junctions/turnings in my pocket.

I live on the coast in Wirral, so I'm familiar-ish with most places as far as Chester, and beyond that isn't yet within my capabilities. A few wrong turnings won't get me into too much trouble.

JhnBssll

Veteran
To date I've relied on local knowledge and a good sense of direction :laugh: Back in November I caved and ordered a Hammerhead Karoo on pre-order. The first units are now out in the wild (and getting a mixed reception due to software bugs and glitches!) but mine isn't likely to arrive for another month or so. It's a new device and I'm confident it will be great once the software matures :becool:

Hopefully :laugh:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use Garmin, Wahoo, phone and paper maps. The Wahoo is a game changer though. So simple to use either by plotting on the PC at home or out in the field on the phone using Komoot.

GilesM

Legendary Member
If I'm on unfamiliar roads, I use OS maps downloaded on my Android phone, works really well, paper maps have lots of advantages, but a phone you can hold in one hand is much easier to look at while you're riding along, especially if its windy.

gom

Über Member
Paper maps (OS 1:50K) for me, on the handlebars all the time. That way I can see what I’m near and plan the next 5, 10, 20 miles any time I choose. Always loved following my way on a map.
Use a Garmin for recording the route and it or phone if I fear I’m lost, but if I could only take one, it would be the map. Just like old times, though I fear my map reading skill has faded through lake of practice in this gps era.

I find it helps by not caring about where you go, or how or when you get there. Haven't been late yet. A man is only truly happy when firmly rooted in place. And yet I still appreciate the gentle irony of using a cycle as a form of transportation.

Top Bottom