How do you navigate.

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by derrick, 1 Mar 2018.

?

What do you use to navigate

Poll closed 23 Apr 2018.
  1. Garmin

32 vote(s)
    28.1%
  2. Wahoo

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  3. Lezyne

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Bryton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Cateye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Polar

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. Other

20 vote(s)
    17.5%
  8. Follow your nosw

5 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. Follow your nose

45 vote(s)
    39.5%
  10. Phone

18 vote(s)
    15.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. gom

gom Active Member

Paper maps (OS 1:50K) for me, on the handlebars all the time. That way I can see what I’m near and plan the next 5, 10, 20 miles any time I choose. Always loved following my way on a map.
    Use a Garmin for recording the route and it or phone if I fear I’m lost, but if I could only take one, it would be the map. Just like old times, though I fear my map reading skill has faded through lake of practice in this gps era.

Heltor Chasca and raleighnut like this.
  2. Nigel-YZ1

Nigel-YZ1 Guru

Paper maps.

raleighnut likes this.
  3. confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist Über Member

I find it helps by not caring about where you go, or how or when you get there. Haven't been late yet. A man is only truly happy when firmly rooted in place. And yet I still appreciate the gentle irony of using a cycle as a form of transportation.

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  4. Is it? Still? I personally discarded my last street Atlas when it got wet a decade ago and did not replace it, and haven't even printed out a google maps page for 4 or 5 years.

This is not a criticism of maps, just a question of whether they are the commonest anymore.

iancity likes this.
  5. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

Unfortunately this is not true, at least not in the developed world. I make maps for a living and sometimes rue the loss of paper maps, whilst being wowed by the latest digital maps.

iancity likes this.
  6. captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701 Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

My bike knows where it's going most of the time^_^.

raleighnut and Heltor Chasca like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

Sorry i don't ride with anyone who uses paper maps.:smile:

Rocky likes this.
  8. cyberknight

cyberknight Legendary Member

Get lost at the gate ,club rides or signposts :smile:

Heltor Chasca likes this.
  9. GuyBoden

GuyBoden Fat, old bloke, on an old bike, pedalling slowly.

Sat Nav is no good when there's no signal and you're lost without a paper map, especially in remote locations. Walkers are the worst culprits, putting the mountain rescue volunteers at risk with their selfish acts.

http://www.mountainsafety.co.uk/Rescued-Reliance-on-Smartphone-Apps.aspx
    "Venturing into the hills, especially the Cairngorms, which are remote and you may not see anyone all day, requires a good level of navigation. At the basic end of that scale is having a map and compass and knowing how to use them. GPS units and smartphones have their place, but only as a back up to the tried and tested methods of navigation."

"Mountain Rescue Concerns
    Some mountain rescue teams have recently expressed concern that some people are venturing into the hills armed only with a GPS equipped mobile phone, in the hope that an app that works in towns and cities will work in the hills.

From the above information it should be clear about the limitations and benefits of the different types of apps available. And also clear from various sections of this website that you must always carry a proper walking map when in the hills."

10. Donger

Donger Convoi Exceptionnel

A quick reccy the night before on Google Earth if it's just outside my patch ...."Flatnav" if I'm far from home:
    82.JPG

Old jon, Heltor Chasca and Alan O like this.
  11. furball

furball Veteran

Pre plan the basic route with a road map. Fine it down with OS maps then use street view to identify the approaches to junctions. Once on the road I have a good idea where I'm going. I carry a map as a backup.

12. Although I broadly agree with much of your post, it's worth pointing out that the only time that there's no signal for a Sat Nav (aka GPS receiver) is when you are indoors or under heavy tree cover, or when your batteries are flat. Or maybe if the satellites have come crashing to earth. It's independent of the phone network.

Although GPS in phones often relies on the phone network to augment GPS data, the satellites will still be transmitting.

But your general points about preparedness stand.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2018
  13. OP
    OP
    derrick

derrick The Glue that binds us together.

Its the same when you go out to sea, so many people on boats relying on GPS, and not having a clue about the old ways of navigating, But thats down to stupid individuals.
    But it's really hard to get completely lost on a bike, i have never managed it, :laugh:
    Am sure there will come a day though.:okay:

Donger and Dogtrousers like this.
  14. slowmotion

slowmotion Quite dreadful

Street signs, my nose, and paper maps. Sometimes I wander along the route on Streetview (or similar) before I set out. It's a great way of jogging your memory when you have to negotiate complicated junctions etc. I don't carry any electronics.

15. si_c

si_c Über Member

Depends, on anything under 50miles I'll just memorise key junctions from the map and wing it, using road signs if needs be. Anything longer and I tend to put the route file onto my bike computer (Mio 505) and follow that, but I don't tend to actually use it until I'm in unfamiliar areas. It's got full maps on it too, so it can navigate for me as well if I need to get somewhere.

I tend not to use the track following element of the navigation though, I prefer to have one of the boxes on the screen tell me how far ahead the next turn is and which direction I need to go, less distracting I find.

I keep my phone as a backup, with OSMAnd installed with local maps available.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice