How long can you plank for ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not long enough to see the second hand move! :laugh:

I mentioned lack of core strength on one forum ride many years ago and another rider suggested trying 'the plank' and proceeded to demonstrate it in a pub car park. I thought it looked incredibly easy until I tried it and discovered the reality ...! :blush:

OP
OP
numbnuts

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I have just tried it for the first time. Got to just over 2 minutes and got worried I was going to crick my back so stopped. Are you meant to warm up? Crikey that was MUCH harder than I thought. Off to YouTube to find out more. That could be a good core activity to do.
Two minutes for the first time impressive :bravo: it is very hard, I'm even surprised I can do it as I've had two operations on my spine, but I'd like to strengthen my core and get that in to better shape

ColinJ

The last time I tried I was more than 4 stone overweight so I should find it a bit easier now! I'll clear a space and have a go at 30+ seconds and see if I can manage it ... :whistle:
Well, it is certainly easier without the extra weight... :laugh:

But, still tough! I was okay for 30 seconds. From 30-45 seconds, I started to feel the effort. From 45-60 seconds I started to struggle to hold the correct posture. I might have been able to hold it for another 15-30 seconds but I would have been fighting collapse and I didn't want to strain anything so I stopped.

I'll try and do it a few times a week for a minute at a time until that feels easier and then increase the hold time by 10% or so. I think once I could do a few minutes I'd be happy with that. (I'd have to find something to do to avoid boredom once I was doing more than (say) 5 minutes!)

ColinJ

[QUOTE 5391525, member: 9609"]My first 'well meaning' pilates teacher had us doing these, I thought they would be good for core strength and got really good at them, 5 - 10 minutes no problems. Could even get the wife to sit on me.

Then I changed to a pilates teacher who knew her stuff and she stopped me doing them as they would be doing nothing whatsoever for my core strength and very likely making my back problems worse, Her theory being; when you have a really weak core your body cheats and uses the wrong muscles, so I was doing the plank by using legs and tummy muscles, and not using the core at all.

She taught me how to use my core with what I would describe as pointlessly silly little exercises - and she was absolutely spot on with me as she cured the sideways twist I had in my spine.

So by all means do planks, but if she is correct then you may not even be using your core.[/QUOTE]
Interesting!

So, can you suggest some 'silly little exercises' as alternatives?

OP
OP
numbnuts

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Whats a plank?

View: https://youtu.be/ASdvN_XEl_c
Just found this :-
The plank is one of the best exercises you can do for your core because it builds isometric strength to help sculpt your waistline and improve your posture. And depending on the type of plank you try
If you can't hold a plank for 120 seconds, you're either a) too fat; b) too weak; or c) doing something wrong in your workouts. A fit, healthy guy should be able to do a two-minute plank. John is also clear about the value of going beyond two minutes: There is none.

Last edited:
Top Bottom