How many of you are famous? (Cycling related)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I used to work alongside the father of British Olympic cyclist Daryl Webster as a taxi driver. In fact it was Daryl who put me on to the job in the first place.

yello

I have the same name as someone famous. I thought I had it bad but I once met someone called Michael Jackson. We shared stories but he won hands down.

Jezston

Über Member
I have the same name as someone who's apparently quite famous in New Zealand, which is a pain in the arse as the bugger got the [my name].com address before I could! I had to settle for .co.uk :sad:

I was also in an indie band that decided to become moderately famous shortly after I decided being in a band wasn't for me! EDIT Just remembered I still own their website though ... saving that one for if I ever find myself impoverished!

I had this odd experience once in an Oddbins (way back in the day when there were Oddbins**). The guy behind the counter had this weird expression on his face,
"How are you?"
"I fine. And how are you?"
"Fine. You're her, aren't you?"
"Who?"
"That woman off Eastenders"
"Eh, no"
"<sarcastic> Oh, sure"
the rest of the transaction continued in the same sarcastic tone. I'm sure he told all his friends that he served "that woman". I don't watch Eastenders, and I didn't ask who he meant. But the thing is, this guy would not believe me when I told him - in an Australian accent, no less - that I was not "that woman" from Eastenders, but no one else has ever even remarked that I look a little like someone on that show.

To be honest, I really didn't want to know who he meant: I've seen enough of Eastenders to know it was unlikely I'd be flattered by the comparison.

** yes, I know there are still Oddbins left

Cyclopathic

Veteran
I had this odd experience once in an Oddbins (way back in the day when there were Oddbins**). The guy behind the counter had this weird expression on his face,
"How are you?"
"I fine. And how are you?"
"Fine. You're her, aren't you?"
"Who?"
"That woman off Eastenders"
"Eh, no"
"<sarcastic> Oh, sure"
the rest of the transaction continued in the same sarcastic tone. I'm sure he told all his friends that he served "that woman". I don't watch Eastenders, and I didn't ask who he meant. But the thing is, this guy would not believe me when I told him - in an Australian accent, no less - that I was not "that woman" from Eastenders, but no one else has ever even remarked that I look a little like someone on that show.

To be honest, I really didn't want to know who he meant: I've seen enough of Eastenders to know it was unlikely I'd be flattered by the comparison.

** yes, I know there are still Oddbins left

Nice try but I don't believe you. You're definitely her. Why else would you deny it? Don't worry though I won't tell everybody.

yello

Not only is she clearly her, she's also embarrassed by it.

What's up dear? Not fulfilled by your career? Do you feel you've let yourself down? Get over it! Most of us don't have the luxury of regretting our 'luvvy careers'! Most of us have to actually work for a sodding living!!!

;) ;) ;)

Funny you say that.
I used to work for FGTH and the drummer (Ged) was the nicest guy out of the whole band.

I'll bow to your greater knowledge. Only going on first impressions, which as we all know can be misleading.

jayonabike