How many times have you fallen/been knocked off your bike?

How many times have you been knocked off/fallen off?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
Had an off today. Tube exploded, tyre delaminated so I lost control on carbon rim

rps20131019_182220_1-hires_1-hires.jpg

Bike went one way, I went other.
Luckily a white van man stopped on the bike so I knew exactly where it was.

Luckily it was the Dogma think2 rather than a good bike

My bum, hip and wallet hurting

steve52

I'm back! Yippeee
is this a life time count?

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Had an off today. Tube exploded, tyre delaminated so I lost control on carbon rim

View attachment 31076

Sounds identical to mine never had it happen in 20k miles, because I can't drive cannot get to the bike to have a stewards enquiry in to the state of the bike & look at tube + tyre, driving me nuts! That sound of the bang and then rim on tarmac and then the whoosh is still pretty fresh lol

GWS..

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
That sound of the bang and then rim on tarmac and then the whoosh is still pretty fresh lol

GWS..

Really weird experience it happened so fast but I remember every single moment and movement in exceptional detail. I'm ok but a little shaken and sore. At least I never went under the van like the bike.
The bike looks like an air fix kit with bits missing.. Lol

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

View attachment 31076

Nasty! I'm glad that you weren't seriously hurt.

I did a forum ride a couple of years ago and towards the end I noticed a noise coming from one tyre catching on the Crud Roadracer mudguard over it. There was a strange-looking bulge in the tyre which I investigated as soon as I got home. That turned out to be delamination occurring from the inside of the tyre so I binned it.

It is, thankfully, pretty rare. At least, it is the only time that I have experienced it in about 30 years of cycling.

Keith Oates

Janner
When I was out with a Sunday Group ride in Vietnam last year, one of the guys who had a almost new MTB with Bontrager tyres had a bulge on his back tyre which very soon exploded so it was a taxi ride back to the LBS. About 6 months later the same guy on the same bike with another Bontrager tyre had another bulge followed by an explosion. It's the only times I've seen that happen but as the tyres, in this case, came from the same LBS maybe it was a faulty batch of tyres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrew_P

In between here and there
When I was out with a Sunday Group ride in Vietnam last year, one of the guys who had a almost new MTB with Bontrager tyres had a bulge on his back tyre which very soon exploded so it was a taxi ride back to the LBS. About 6 months later the same guy on the same bike with another Bontrager tyre had another bulge followed by an explosion. It's the only times I've seen that happen but as the tyres, in this case, came from the same LBS maybe it was a faulty batch of tyres!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's my theory, reading Sheldon Brown he reckons if you hear it go bang the tube was out in fresh air somewhere just before the bang.

Octet

Veteran
I haven't come off in a long time, however yesterday I had a bit of a wobble and a skid as I clipped the edge of a wet drain cover.

It wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't turning a corner at the same time :wacko:

Emsy4

Have ridden into a ditch whilst being distracted, but didn't actually part company with bike until I dismounted to drag it back out! Absolutely petrified off hitting the tarmac for the first time:/

Oly counting my cycling resurgence in the last 6-years, 7 times...

Three on ice, one caused by roadworks (most recent) and at least three almost stationary Clipless moments, one of which was leaving work on a weekend ride with some colleagues, I had missed the sensor for the blocker ramp which proceeded to raise as I approached with nowhere to go!
Stopped just short of the ramp with my rear wheel in the air, then ignominiously fell sideways onto the non-slip path grinding my elbow skin off.
It stopped bleeding by mile three so not too bad... apart from security saving the recording for posterity and much amusement.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Since 2006 when I jumped back on the bike

1 Country lane blind corner hit by a car
1 hungover induced grass verge-bike coming together
2 falls on ice
1 FNRttC not paying attention and overcooking a corner
1 fall on wet leaves/mulch
1 wayward ped walking into me
1 left hook resulting in a bonnet somersault
1 non indicating u-turn copper taking me out

Tcr4x4

Veteran
1 clipless moment since this July when I started riding again outside my own front door!

Back in the day, had 2 knockoffs.

One on a mini roundabout, taxi flew out from the side street on the left and I went over the bonnet. I was in such shock, I got up and rode off after a brief word with the driver. It wasnt until about 5 minutes later I realised my front wheel was completely bent and I had no idea where I was, despite riding all the roads in the area for the last 5 years or so before. Took me a good 10 minutes of just sitting down to gain the compsure to figure out Id managed to ride off right at the roundabout when I meant to go straight over.

Second time was turning right on the narrow high street on my way home. I signalled, moved over to the right on the lane and started to turn. As I did so, a car overtook me on the right, which I avoided, only for it to be followed by another which went straight into me. No idea what the hell they were thinking of. They blamed the other car, saying they didnt see me.. I was wearing a high vis vest and was in the middle of the road!

I also slipped on ice one time at a junction and ended up in the middle of the road opposite. Thankfully no cars were coming down it!

too many too count since a child, but do remember some noteable ones
  • being left hooked (4x4 towing a trailer) as a student cycling to uni (came round in the ambulance, badly bruised and with concusion but otherwise OK),
  • finding out the hard way about victorian grids/grids in general being laid the wrong way and road bike wheels fitting down them as a teenager
  • passing out coming downhill one night on my way home from work many years ago
  • being knocked off my bike by another cyclist whilst on tour - touring bikes need so much more stopping space!
  • came off my bike when I lost my balance on tour when totally exhausted - superb bruising but otherwise OK
  • came off my mtb back in March whilst trying to stop after a jump - snow on grass made life very slippery - 3 broken ribs, months of chest infections, 5 months on steriods and only just getting my asthma back under control now....
But on the bright side of things, unlike my brother, I have never actually written a car off the road after being hit by one driving up the wrong side of said road whilst breaking the speedlimit - that was the car, not my brother on his brand new bike!

Top Bottom