How much do you sweat?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wait4me

Veteran
When I go out on my bike it's always a round trip, whether from home or when away in the caravan. I have read threads on here about various cafes and the delight of their cakes etc. But here's the rub!
Whenever I get back from my ride, the only place for me within a few minutes is the shower. I have had cause to stop mid ride and invariably find that when I restart there is initially a bit of a chill from the air flow. My usual ride is about 25 miles and an average of about 14 mph is the norm.
Is this just because I'm an old fart a Senior Ctizen or do you all sit there steaming while topping up the cake reserves?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A wicking base layer helps enormously.

As a leisure cyclist, I thought such things didn't apply to me.

But after reading a few posts on here, I bought such a garment and it all but eliminates the post-ride chills - I now won't ride without wearing it.

Lots available, I bought a cheap synthetic one:

http://www.mountainwarehouse.com/search.aspx?k=mens+base+layer

A lot! Although I always tend to wear a backpack/hydration pack which doesn't help...although I have been thinking that it might be better in future just to tip the hydration pack over me as the end result will be the same anyway!!!

TBH I don't actually sweat that much compared to other riders.
Not on the commute unless i really push it, and On a longer ride very little unless its again pushing up toward the 18mph average mark.
Not that I'm fit, just don't comparatively perspire as much.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I sweat buckets and frequently while I'm putting my bike away steam is pouring off me. Carrying extra body fat seems to make it a lot worse and similarly overdressing feels fine at the start of a ride but ends up with you feeling nice and warm but damp halfway through. Decent mid/outer layers in winter will help take the sweat off the baselayer too, but I either turn up sweaty or just slow down a bit :smile:

GetAGrip

Still trying to look cool and not the fool HA
Not really one to sweat glow a lot on the body, even on a warm summers day. But, after thirty odd miles, the glow from my face could light up a dark room :blush:

I am also one who sweats a lot - yesterday just walking around outside had me sweating, the temp had reached double figures and I was only in a long sleeved T-shirt & baggy summer walking trousers. (I have a fairly lean figure and am reasonably fit, so don't have a huge amount of insulation - but I have always been happier cold than hot.)

Cycling I find it is best to wear very little (other than for decency) and make sure I have something warmer to put on when I stop for anything longer than a set of traffic lights etc. Usually I cycle in 1 thin merino wool layer & a waterproof top (breathable) with the vents fully open (plus leggings) at this time of year and that has been the same throughout all this 'cold' weather.

But I am not normal. i have yet to actually shut the bedroom window since I moved in in July last year and the heating if kept off in the upstairs of the house. We have finally turned it on downstairs in the sitting room but that was only to dry out the sitting room after the shower leaked into it from above. If we have guests, we have to remember to turn the heating up for them and they always bring coats & jumpers!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
not a great deal here... gotta be a baking hot summer's day only on a long slow uphill I might shed a couple of fluid ounces.

Although reading Gaz's post above... a rucksack will give me a sweaty patch, hence using a pannier instead.

Top Bottom