How tight are you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
How tight are you?

Tight as a duck’s arse.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I know this is a lighthearted thread and I'm probably being a bit of a misery guts but I have to say that this;
However, one former colleague years ago was legendary. His car failed it's MOT on windscreen wipers. He went and brought some new ones, re-took the MOT, passed, then took them off, refitted his old ones and took the new ones back ...and got his money back.
Is irresponsible, stupid and dangerous.
And this;
When you could buy Ever Ready batteries in the cellophane wrapping, he'd buy a pack, carefully undo the packaging, use the batteries, place the old, same make batteries in the packaging and seal them. He'd then take them back and claim he'd got Çs instead of Ds...could he swap them ?, invariably they did. That way he got more for his money.
Is theft.
I wouldn't say this individual was acting in a frugal or tight way, they were just a completely selfish tosser.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I know this is a lighthearted thread and I'm probably being a bit of a misery guts but I have to say that this;

Is irresponsible, stupid and dangerous.
And this;

Is theft.
I wouldn't say this individual was acting in a frugal or tight way, they were just a completely selfish tosser.

I agree, not a huge leap to the people who go on holiday, then claim they had food poisoning to get their money back.

Frugality and fraudulently actions are not the same.

Sixmile

Veteran
A few friends and I were talking about our spending habits last night and it was amazing how different we all were. A good example is our cars. One of the guys earns very good money, changes his car a couple of times a year but has never owned a car. He's happy enough paying £470 a month for a used A7 that he'll never own. Another fella, earns decent money, never drove till his 40's and financed a brand new Merc as his first car and is crippled by the payments. He's always wearing top branded new clothing too but struggles to buy his chippy when we're out but it's ok, he's got the latest iphone. I on the other hand, have kept my C4 for I think 7 years now. I always save up 6 or 7k to buy a car outright as it'd break my heart to pay £9k or so for a 7k car. It's funny though, as they view me as very tight but I've no problem spending deposable income a few times a month on bike gear, a night away, eating out etc. Because of that, some of my workmates think I'm very careless with my money! Thankfully though, I've never been in debt and at 35 got my first credit card last week as I needed to hire a car on holiday. On the scale of tightness I'd be somewhere half way I reckon.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Repairing and re-using as much as you can (as well as avoiding disposable and single-use products) is simply being environmentally responsible as far as I can see.

And no, I'm afraid I don't always live up to that standard.

slowwww

Veteran
When you could buy Ever Ready batteries in the cellophane wrapping, he'd buy a pack, carefully undo the packaging, use the batteries, place the old, same make batteries in the packaging and seal them. He'd then take them back and claim he'd got Çs instead of Ds...could he swap them ?, invariably they did. That way he got more for his money.

That's not being tight, that's theft!

gbb

Legendary Member
That's not being tight, that's theft!
I guess this mentality skews the moral compass somewhat, you're quite right of course.

His tightness knew no bounds.
In the 20 years i knew him, he RARELY EVER EVER brought a coffee for anyone at work (or even himself) where we'd all take turns.

I remember one guy saying..
'But how can you be happy never spending any money ?, his mattress must be bursting with the money he'd saved over the years, what's the point ?'

My immediate reply was...
'He's probably extraordinarily happy, that's how he gets his kicks, how much can i save today, this week etc etc ?'

Top Bottom