How tight are you?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I've mentioned here before about a couple of people I've known that would buy their bread from Tesco and their beans from Lidl and their coffee from Aldi, or whatever it was, because it was a few pence cheaper in one shop than another, of course they'd spend an extra £10 on petrol driving from store to store but this didn't enter into the calculations.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I've mentioned here before about a couple of people I've known that would buy their bread from Tesco and their beans from Lidl and their coffee from Aldi, or whatever it was, because it was a few pence cheaper in one shop than another, of course they'd spend an extra £10 on petrol driving from store to store but this didn't enter into the calculations.

I didn't know that you knew my Dad !

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I will spend several hours trying save a quid or two on the price of inner tubes, tyres or whatever.

Then pay £2.85 for a coffee on the way to work.

Ffs.

My theory is that we all have these "blind spots" with money.

For example:

My wife will agonise in the supermarket, about buying certain items, where as, my thought pattern goes, do I like it?, do I want it?, in the trolley it goes.

I keep a mental note of which garage / supermarket has cheapest diesel, on my regular routes, and, buy as I pass, my wife has no idea how much diesel costs, and fills up where-ever.

This is of course without considering things like: Wife - hairdressers, £40-£50, no problem, me, Barbers £7, you must be joking, buy some shears.

[QUOTE 5245350, member: 10119"]I quite like the Vimes Boot Theory of Economics....[/QUOTE]
Yes!
How a rich person can save money, by being able to buy quality items in the first instance

I will spend several hours trying save a quid or two on the price of inner tubes, tyres or whatever.
Then pay £2.85 for a coffee on the way to work.

I take my own teabags, thankfully the owners of the building haven't figured out how to charge us for boiling water

Yet..................

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I sometimes take my own nuts (as in pea,cashew,mixed etc) into my local pub. If anyone says "oh,he's bringing his own food in now blah blah" i just tell them they're a special kind for cyclists,as we can't eat the nuts on sale in pubs as they're unhealthy. If that doesn't pacify them i just tell them to feck off.:dry:

Crankarm

Guru
I don't consider myself tight but do try to spend wisely.
However, one former colleague years ago was legendary. His car failed it's MOT on windscreen wipers. He went and brought some new ones, re-took the MOT, passed, then took them off, refitted his old ones and took the new ones back ...and got his money back.

When you could buy Ever Ready batteries in the cellophane wrapping, he'd buy a pack, carefully undo the packaging, use the batteries, place the old, same make batteries in the packaging and seal them. He'd then take them back and claim he'd got Çs instead of Ds...could he swap them ?, invariably they did. That way he got more for his money.

He had a mattess that was within a year of it's 25 year guarantee expiry...obviously he contacted them and complained about it' comfort or something...and got a replacement. Why wouldn't he? :laugh:

This isn't being tight, it is just plain dishonesty.

Top Bottom