How to keep riding in your 80 s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A classic OMIL. I hope he is allowed that bike.
(An ordinary touring Roubaix - in the picture - not an S-Works as the article says.)

My mother in law is 82 and still riding with her CTC pals, several of whom are older still. A group of them have been enjoying twice yearly cycling holidays in Majorca for many years now.

D

Deleted member 1258

It was nice to read Brian 's article, we rode together on the Coventry Road Club veterans rides in the 1990's and I hadn't seen him for many years, it was nice to see him looking so well and hear he's still banging out the miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know/knew a few

There's one guy not too far from me, who's a bit of a legend around this area
Duggie's about 81, & gets grumpy if he can't measure 300 miles a week (that said, he was injured last year, & it did knock him back a bit)

George, is another one, who must be in his 80's?, & is still out several times a week

Barry Hobans dad (Joe) was probably riding well into his late 70's, I used to see Joe quite regularly heading to Josies house (his daughter), I knew him fairly well, & still see Josie (& hubby)

In my running club, we have 3 members, who are very late 70's/early 80's
John; about 78
Ken, about 83
Brian, about 77

Ken still turns out at almost every ParkRun, at Pontefract, having been a very good runner when he was younger, & still is

http://www.pontefractandcastleforde...kworth-runner-ranked-top-in-britain-1-1224457

pawl

Legendary Member

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
When folk(usually non cyclists)have asked me what my ambitions are i tell them it's to be riding a road bike on runs over 20/30 miles when/if i reach 80. They seem to think it's not much of an ambition.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When folk(usually non cyclists)have asked me what my ambitions are i tell them it's to be riding a road bike on runs over 20/30 miles when/if i reach 80. They seem to think it's not much of an ambition.:rolleyes:
Most non-cyclists that I know think that riding 2 or 3 miles at any age is a lot, and to still be alive at 80 and able to walk to the bathroom unaided is about as much as they can contemplate.

I would like to get to that age and still be able to do a hilly metric century in less than 8 hours including a decent cafe stop or two!

D

Deleted member 1258

Most non-cyclists that I know think that riding 2 or 3 miles at any age is a lot, and to still be alive at 80 and able to walk to the bathroom unaided is about as much as they can contemplate.

I would like to get to that age and still be able to do a hilly metric century in less than 8 hours including a decent cafe stop or two!

As we get older its becoming obvious that I'm aging a lot slower than my Wife is, now we can't say that is due to me being a cyclist and my Wife being a non cyclist, there's too many variables, but I suspect that its playing a part.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As we get older its becoming obvious that I'm aging a lot slower than my Wife is, now we can't say that is due to me being a cyclist and my Wife being a non cyclist, there's too many variables, but I suspect that its playing a part.
A friend of mine is getting to the age now where she needs to get more exercise or her health will start to suffer. She is a non-cyclist who would like to come with me on some of my hilly Yorkshire and Lancashire routes but she feels that she would never be fit enough and she doesn't want to try.

I can't really justify buying a tandem to take her out on what would be probably one or two rides a month, and anyway, I don't think that I would be strong enough to make 75-80% of the effort, which is how it would probably end up.

She talked about buying a scooter but that would be a bit ridiculous the other way. She would be waiting for hours for me to catch up.

I told her about the e-bike that @Pale Rider was riding on my recent hilly forum ride and she was very interested in finding out more. I had previously dismissed them as unsuitable for these hills, but PR demonstrated that the combination of leg/motor power PLUS a spare battery pack is enough to cover 40-50 hilly miles, which is all she would want to do.

Top Bottom