How to maintain my weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chipmonster

Hi

I am 35 yrs old and weigh just under 9 stones. I never struggle to put weight on but always struggle to maintain my weight.

I am planning to commute on my bike to work 4 miles each way making it 8 miles per day.

I also plan to do about 25 miles over the weekend.

I am afraid that after all this cycling, I will lose weight which I dont want.

What shall I eat in order to maintain my weight?

I wouldn't worry about it. At 35, your metabolism starts slowing down anyway, so you'll soon be as fat and unhappy as the rest of us.

Bodhbh

Guru
Your appetite will probably quite naturally go up with it, I shouldn't worry much unless you start getting mad swings on the scales which doubt will happen anyhow.

PrettyboyTim

I guess you may increase weight just because you may put on some extra muscle. If you are worried about weight loss though, you should see your doctor.

walker

If this is serious then its not a case of what you eat, rather what you do.

If your a paper weight then gaining weight be be of benefit, unless your looking at challenging for the TdF next year, you might find your underweight

I suppose that before you cycle make sure you have a good intake of complex carbs (eg porridge, wholemeal toast etc), and afterwards have a protein rich meal to help repair the muscle fibre. Muscle weighs more than fat so if you do produce more muscle fibre then you won't lose weight.
Best to talk to the doc though if you are worried.

trio25

Über Member
For some people loosing too much weight is a serious problem!

The thing to do is make sure you are replacing the calories that you burn, kirsties advice is good.

ChrisKH

Guru
It would be helpful if we had your height and gender to give more specific advice. Whilst there's no "normal" in this world, I would probably have concerns or questions if you were male and 6.0', but still only 9 stone. It could be a pointer to underlying health issues for example that have nothing to do with diet. Just a thought. Not that any of us are doctors......;)

Hont

Guru
If you take a rough estimate of 600 calories burned per hour for moderate exercise (namely cycling - I assume you don't push too hard on the commute) for an average male, try and replace what you use by eating the calorific equivalent. As Kirstie advised - carbs before (and during), protein after.

Top Bottom