how would you react?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User66445

I always wear a high visibility jacket or t shirt, but that didn't stop an old chap walking out in front of me one day. I braked sharply stopping inches from his nose. When asked politely why he walked out without checking for traffic he replied he had, but hadn't seen me as my bike was too small.

It was the Brompton, lights flashing even though it was noon on a clear, bright, summer's day by the med, plus I was wearing the aforementioned clothing. In fact, the chap was luckier than he knew, because I had seen him, thought he was about to do something silly and was preparing to brake and swerve before he stepped out. He hadn't checked beforehand, of course.

The coast road in Cannes does get extremely busy and narrows a lot because cars park illegally on both sides of it, so he was lucky it was only me on a bike. I pointed this out, he shrugged, and we both continued our respective journeys.

Nevertheless, I think high visibility clothing is a must for cyclists, and black is not a good idea.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Find out where he lives by stalking him in all black catsuit. Break into his house while he’s out sitting on walls. When he comes home and goes to hang up his donkey jacket in the cupboard under the stairs, jump out at him in an entirely reflective outfit covered in blinkies.
In my experience, these people will never bother you again.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I always wear a high visibility jacket or t shirt, but that didn't stop an old chap walking out in front of me one day. I braked sharply stopping inches from his nose. When asked politely why he walked out without checking for traffic he replied he had, but hadn't seen me as my bike was too small.

It was the Brompton, lights flashing even though it was noon on a clear, bright, summer's day by the med, plus I was wearing the aforementioned clothing. In fact, the chap was luckier than he knew, because I had seen him, thought he was about to do something silly and was preparing to brake and swerve before he stepped out. He hadn't checked beforehand, of course.

The coast road in Cannes does get extremely busy and narrows a lot because cars park illegally on both sides of it, so he was lucky it was only me on a bike. I pointed this out, he shrugged, and we both continued our respective journeys.

Nevertheless, I think high visibility clothing is a must for cyclists, and black is not a good idea.

If they don't look properly then what you wear makes no difference at all. Your entire post is an example of this.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member

I tend to agree with that,but i'm also now swaying towards the argument that no matter how high viz you are,if they aren't looking they won't see you. The other week i cycled into a black parked car. It was my own fault as i had my eyes on the tarmac for too long. The other year i did the same thing,but the vehicle i hit was a big VW camper van in i think either white or fluoro' green. So me not looking meant i didn't see it,even though in theory i couldn't fail to see it.

User66445

Well, that was my point, which is why I said nevertheless... some people may not see you at all, but that's not a reason why you shouldn't attempt to be seen.

D

Deleted member 26715

Well, that was my point, which is why I said nevertheless... some people may not see you at all, but that's not a reason why you shouldn't attempt to be seen.
Although I agree with you & in general I go out wearing bright colours, my tops are usually red or lime green, but no way do I want to be riding around in a hi-vis vest. I get the impression that everybody thinks a hi-vis vest is a placebo for everything safety, my son has just got a job at a retail store, that if there is a big customer order they are allowed to come to the back door, but before they open the door thay have to put on the hi-vis vest, they are not leaving the building, no vehicle is entering the building but the vest must be put on, sorry just crazy.

One of the principles of local traffic law is that by using a bike I'm causing potential risk, so when riding I'm responsible for not hitting pedestrians. By the same token a car driver, by using a faster, heavier vehicle, is considered to cause greater potential risk, and is responsible for seeing me and not hitting me or a pedestrian.

I once heard it expressed that "If a cyclist falls out of the sky and hits your car and is injured, it's your fault unless you can prove otherwise".

"SMIDSY" would get the response from the insurance (and the police who are always called out in a road traffic accident) "Why not?". As far as I know pedestrians are not expected to have lights (although dogs are) and I simply have to be aware of them regardless of what they are wearing. In practice I have the same instincts as @avole and can predict what a pedestrian is likely to do. Most of the time.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Around here the unwritten law seems to be - "you were on a bike, therefore you were asking for it". Just last night I had the temerity to take up the right hand side of my lane whilst waiting to turn right. This incensed the driver who had to wait to continue his important journey whilst he berated me for not pulling off to the left of the road and I assume doffing my cap. I believe my last two words were "ignorant pizzle".

Top Bottom