Votes: 16 19.8%
  • No change

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • - 0-5Kg

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • - 5Kg+

Votes: 16 19.8%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
We don't have scales in our house so I hardly ever weight myself but I know mine doesn't move that much as my clothes are always the same size.

Julia9054

Guru
It is normal for me to put on, say, 1kg in the school holidays (more food, more alcohol, less busy) and then naturally lose it going back to work. The challenge going "back" on Monday is to lose it without being so active. I am cycling more at the moment but I am much less active in between bike rides.

12boy

Guru
Had my annual physical and learned blood sugar (130), A1C (6.6) and cholesterol (234) are at diabetic/ unhealthy levels, no doubt caused by winter sloth and too many carbs and unhealthy fats. Not a lot heavier at 74 kg, but I've cut back drastically on the butter, cheese, sweets and refined carbs and got down to 72 kg. Mrs 12 lives on carbs so having what we both want is a pain in the tuchus. The doc said to retest at the end of June and perhaps I can avoid diabetes meds. Oddly enough, if I get enough protein and veg, I'm less hungry than I was when eating more carbs, sugars and fats. It seems having longer daylight hours helps with dropping a little weight....cold grey days with 20 mph winds do make me want to sit around and gorge on rich and greasy food.

woodbutcher

Veteran
You do really, but you are trying to make a point about body composition!

Same point again... They are clearly trying to lose that loose, flabby stuff from their bodies, not trying to have their muscles waste away.

Actually, it doesn't! 1 kg of muscle weighs 1 kg and 1 kg of fat weighs... 1kg! Muscle is denser than fat, yes.

It is quite simple... Strip off and stand in front of a full length mirror. Tense your muscles and jump up and down. Apart from the obvious bits (breasts for women, genitals for men) anything that wobbles is what someone trying to lose weight is trying to lose!
Oh c'mon you know l was referring to weight by volume ^_^

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm currently averaging about 70.4kg over five morning weigh-ins and today was sub-70kg for probably the first time in my adult life outside of fasting :smile:

I'm really pleased with myself looking back on how I've managed to control my diet.. while still far from perfect I've binned so much stuff I thought I could never walk away from - bread, potatoes, milk choc (dark contains about half the sugar), beer, crisps... while I can't stay away from the cheese biscuits and still rely daily on a smallish carb hit from such snacks, it's now the norm for meals to be mostly carb-free; usually meat or fish of some sort with a decent mound of veg, perhaps some eggs and greek yoghurt.

I'm crap at achieving anything in life and really thought I'd never get my weight down to this extent; being now about 75% towards my target.

It's taken me a long time with many peaks and troughs, periods of despair and self-doubt; I'm not there yet and of course this is only one of life's many struggles..

However, If I can do it anyone can - so if you're struggling keep at it and don't beat yourself up too much if it's taking longer than you'd hoped :smile:

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
There will be a lot of fat people around when we get back to some sort of normal. But also a few fitter slimmer ones. I will be in the slimmer group.:okay::laugh::laugh:

woodbutcher

Veteran
I'm currently averaging about 70.4kg over five morning weigh-ins and today was sub-70kg for probably the first time in my adult life outside of fasting :smile:

I'm really pleased with myself looking back on how I've managed to control my diet.. while still far from perfect I'm binned so much stuff I thought I could never walk away from - bread, potatoes, milk choc (dark contains about half the sugar), beer, crisps... while I can't stay away from the cheese biscuits and still rely daily on a smallish carb hit from such snacks, it's now the norm for meals to be mostly carb-free; usually meat or fish of some sort with a decent mound of veg, perhaps some eggs and greek yoghurt.

I'm crap at achieving anything in life and really thought I'd never get my weight down to this extent; being now about 75% towards my target.

It's taken me a long time with many peaks and troughs, periods of dispair and self-doubt; I'm not there yet and of course this is only one of life's many struggles..

However, If I can do it anyone can - so if you're struggling keep at it and don't beat yourself up too much if it's taking longer than you'd hoped :smile:
Hell man don't be so hard on yourself ...you are doing well , relax a bit ,you will get there :okay:

woodbutcher

Veteran
Had my annual physical and learned blood sugar (130), A1C (6.6) and cholesterol (234) are at diabetic/ unhealthy levels, no doubt caused by winter sloth and too many carbs and unhealthy fats. Not a lot heavier at 74 kg, but I've cut back drastically on the butter, cheese, sweets and refined carbs and got down to 72 kg. Mrs 12 lives on carbs so having what we both want is a pain in the tuchus. The doc said to retest at the end of June and perhaps I can avoid diabetes meds. Oddly enough, if I get enough protein and veg, I'm less hungry than I was when eating more carbs, sugars and fats. It seems having longer daylight hours helps with dropping a little weight....cold grey days with 20 mph winds do make me want to sit around and gorge on rich and greasy food.
Don't get me wrong , l am not on any kind of crusade to get everyone on to vegetable based diets for the sake of their health etc. but six or seven months ago l sort of lost the taste for beef, especially steaks . The meat just didn't taste as full of flavour as l wanted and it is bloody expensive. So l began to eat more vegetables and eventually my diet became entirely veg, based !
I was doing a bit of research to see if my food intake was good enough for me and l came across a youtube film called "the game changer". l will say nothing more except take a look at it and let me know your reaction if you want to ! All the best :hello:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Don't get me wrong , l am not on any kind of crusade to get everyone on to vegetable based diets for the sake of their health etc. but six or seven months ago l sort of lost the taste for beef, especially steaks . The meat just didn't taste as full of flavour as l wanted and it is bloody expensive. So l began to eat more vegetables and eventually my diet became entirely veg, based !
I was doing a bit of research to see if my food intake was good enough for me and l came across a youtube film called "the game changer". l will say nothing more except take a look at it and let me know your reaction if you want to ! All the best :hello:
As long as you supplement with vitamin pills you will be fine.

I am eating as much, if not more, since the lockdown started but I have gone from 155lbs to 149lbs (5'8").

I put it down to two things:

1. I am being much more disciplined with my riding with the aim of building strength and fitness, actually treating it as exercise rather than a bike ride.

2. We don't buy prepared meals any more as there seems to be more time for food preparation, and we don't eat out any more (obviously), including stopping our usual 3/4 times a week visits to coffee shops (we always have something to eat as well). My bike rides no longer include the obligatory Greggs coffee and pasty.

It will not last beyond the lockdown.

Top Bottom