HRM with recording

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am quite keen to get a heart rate monitor. I know you can use these to monitor your work rate during a ride, however, I am not too concerned with that. I am interested in looking at how my heart rate varies over a ride and how well it recovers etc. So I would like an HRM that can record and download HRM data for a whole rode to look at later.

Obviously I want to keep the cost down, so what would you recommend?

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
magnatom said:
I am quite keen to get a heart rate monitor. I know you can use these to monitor your work rate during a ride, however, I am not too concerned with that. I am interested in looking at how my heart rate varies over a ride and how well it recovers etc. So I would like an HRM that can record and download HRM data for a whole rode to look at later.
Garmin Edge 705!

magnatom said:
Obviously I want to keep the cost down, so what would you recommend?
Bugger!

Jim_Noir

I use a teco one and excel. Had all singing and dancing timex iron man, the HRM chest device was replaced a few times in it's first year, just couldn't cope with the punishment it went through... the Tesco one was a fraction of the price and has had no issue... and um excel is a robust :biggrin:

Jim_Noir

That said it's not going to plot it out for you. If you have a smart phone then get a bluetooth HRM and there are loads of free applications that will work

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Jim_Noir said:
That said it's not going to plot it out for you. If you have a smart phone then get a bluetooth HRM and there are loads of free applications that will work

I've got the HTC Magic which runs Android. I can't find a bluetooth HRM for it at the moment. :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Alun said:
Garmin Forerunner 50. I got mine at Amazon for about £35 but I think they have gone up since then.

Hmm. It can be had for £49 with the HR strap and usb antenna thingy. Not too bothered about mounting it, as I'd be looking at it at home.

Damn, I was hoping this sort of thing had dropped to £20. :biggrin:

Do you really need it. A plain old HR monitor will pretty much tell you most things you need to know. A glance down now and again will confirm that you are working harder against the wind, that, yep, you've reached that bloody hill again and you're 5 beats off your Max. Looking at it at the end, most will tell you Max HR, Ave HR, % in zone etc...A lower or higher reading than normal will tell you if you're tired or ill etc... etc...

The hardest part of owning one is figuring out your max HR and setting some zones to train in.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

Crackle said:
Do you really need it. A plain old HR monitor will pretty much tell you most things you need to know. A glance down now and again will confirm that you are working harder against the wind, that, yep, you've reached that bloody hill again and you're 5 beats off your Max. Looking at it at the end, most will tell you Max HR, Ave HR, % in zone etc...A lower or higher reading than normal will tell you if you're tired or ill etc... etc...

The hardest part of owning one is figuring out your max HR and setting some zones to train in.

Being a scientist I like nothing better than analysis! :evil:

Seriously though I'd like to be able to compare heart rate during climbing etc to see if and how it improves over time. I'm also interested to see how it recovers following climbs (i.e. indication of fitness).

I already keep an eye on my average speed during my training runs, I don't want any more distractions whilst I am riding!:angry:

wafflycat

WCMnr has an all-singing, all-dancing one that you can download all sorts of information to your computer and it produces all sorts of graphs, from heart rate, cadence, profile of course, effort... it's what the pro-teams were using a couple of seasons ago. Not cheap, but if you're serious about training it tells you everything and more...

Edit... It's a CicloSport HAC 4 Plus with cadence kit.

Jonathan M

wafflycat said:
WCMnr has an all-singing, all-dancing one that you can download all sorts of information to your computer and it produces all sorts of graphs, from heart rate, cadence, profile of course, effort... it's what the pro-teams were using a couple of seasons ago. Not cheap, but if you're serious about training it tells you everything and more...

Edit... It's a CicloSport HAC 4 Plus with cadence kit.

+1 for the HAC4, the plus kit includes everything that is needed to download and review. I've used one out of sheer nosyness (totally non competitve rider) for a few years, and while the software is quirky I like the fact that it can also be used as a stand alone HRM in the gym for example.

In terms of pro-team usage, USPS used these, and you could even get a starts & stripes limited edition.........

HAC 4's have been superseded by the HAC5, but are still available, seen a lot on the German ebay for quite reasonable prices.

Top Bottom