I always wave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Motorhomers get very upset if they wave and another motorhomer doesn’t wave back.
VW van owners are a clique of their own....

kerching!
Try driving a proper square Land Rover, it's a club. But all that's allowed is a laconic lift of a finger off the steering wheel, any more would be overkill.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Try driving a proper square Land Rover, it's a club. But all that's allowed is a laconic lift of a finger off the steering wheel, any more would be overkill.
It's a brave person that would take more than half a finger off the wheel whilst wresting a proper Landy down the road :laugh:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm always overjoyed when a rider goes past and doesn't wave, and I'm relieved of the problem of having to respond or not. Sometimes we exchange glances, we know, we are both in the grumpy club. If only we had some kind of signal we could use to acknowledge each other.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I used to wave. Not any more.
If they wave/say good morning etc first then I'll wave etc back but I got tired of the general rudeness of other cyclists some time ago.
At one time we cyclists were a minority group and it was considered to be the done thing to acknowledge fellow members of that special group. Too many effing BMW/Merc/Audi drivers on carbon fibre bikes nowadays.
I'd happily lose all that cycling has gained through more people taking it up to go back to gentlemanly conduct again.

Gunk

Guru
This is a common discussion on motorcycle forums, I usually nod my head and get a nod back. I don’t bother when riding through Oxford as no one bothers.

Oxford Dave

This is a common discussion on motorcycle forums, I usually nod my head and get a nod back. I don’t bother when riding through Oxford as no one bothers.
I reached the point where I'd only wave at other Harley riders, sports bike riders just sneered at our lovely American iron.
I suspect that riding through Oxford, most people are too confused by the traffic and one-way system to notice anyone waving at them! Despite growing up in Oxford, and now living about ten miles out of town, I rarely go there these days (I'll make an exception for cycling to Warlands, though!)

Gunk

Guru
I reached the point where I'd only wave at other Harley riders, sports bike riders just sneered at our lovely American iron.

That’s quite funny, as a sportsbike rider I’ve always found the opposite. Whenever I nod at a HD rider they rarely nod back, HD riders seem a bit Masonic in their attitudes to other bikers. At the H cafe they even all park together and don’t seem to want to mix. Too busy being badass :laugh:

Oxford Dave

That’s quite funny, as a sportsbike rider I’ve always found the opposite. Whenever I nod at a HD rider they rarely nod back, HD riders seem a bit Masonic in their attitudes to other bikers. At the H cafe they even all park together and don’t seem to want to mix. Too busy being badass :laugh:
At the H cafe we generally all knew each other - often same club on a ride. I gave up the bikes after an accident 4 years ago, only just got back on two wheels recently - but no engine!

anothersam

SMIDSMe
I'm almost always up for the possibility, because
its not just a wave hello is it? its a wave to say cycling is awesome and we both know it.
and as an introvert, making the effort is good for me, my natural inclination being more along the lines of
I'm always overjoyed when a rider goes past and doesn't wave, and I'm relieved of the problem of having to respond or not. Sometimes we exchange glances, we know, we are both in the grumpy club. If only we had some kind of signal we could use to acknowledge each other.
The Velosolo Club welcomes the grumpy and the non-grumpy alike.

Garwyn

It seems to be a bit of old fashioned now but if I pass a cyclist of any type or number coming in the opposite direction I give them a wave ,not an arm up in the air flag waving effort just a hand of the bar fingers raised acknowledgement.
I reckon this is returned about 50% of the time split evenly among leisure ,group rides flat out trainers and others .
Do you wave if not why
Yes I do sometimes no response others wave or shout hi .

bladesman73

Über Member
Will always nod and say hi but only on my leisure rides not the commute, doesnt bother me if they say hi back or not, rude rsoles are everywhere so best get used to it

Top Bottom