I badly need a haircut. What do I do??????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I like the look of the Wahl clippers but they seem to have a maximum hair length of less than 4mm which is a bit too gnarly for my liking. Also, they cost a bit. I only get about four or five haircuts a year at the hands of my Iraqi crimper and they cost a mere £9 plus tip. The teenage son of a neighbour tried some DIY clippers. Maybe I could borrow his, or is that like asking to borrow somebody's toothbrush? I don't know the protocol.

classic33

Leg End Member
You could always say you just want to see how easy the ones he has are to use, before you buy the same ones.

Have another make in mind when asking though.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Get a Wahl clipper, start with an 8 guide, and if you don't like it cut it shorter, simple.
Thanks. I must have misunderstood the length settings. I'll look at Wahl again.

Edit: I think I was looking at the "Personal Grooming" clippers, not the hair cutting ones.

Last edited:
Thanks to lockdown ennui I shaved my head with a safety razor for the first time recently. So much blood, plus I discovered that I detest the feeling of bare scalp so I'm unlikely to do that again in a hurry, but it was certainly an interesting experiment.

It's alarming the first time you use clippers on your own head but you quickly get used it to it and it's not like you can really mess it up unless you're after a fancier do than "stubbly bowling ball"

I've not had someone else cut my hair for 6 or 7 years. I used to have extremely wild wire wool hair but I've not let it grow any longer than maybe 5mm in five years.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I shaved my head with a safety razor for the first time recently. So much blood,

I've been using battery trimmers for a good 15 years gradually cutting my hair shorter and shorter.
It all started when in my late twenties I started going a bit thin on top and the thought of that look terrified me, so it all came off.
Had my first go at a smoothie a month or 2 back using a cheapo disposable razor. Blood. Lots of it.
A few more goes and the cuts were getting fewer but it wasn't good enough.
I've now switched to using one of those multi bladed things that has a billion blades in it. No cuts so far ^_^
The only downside is that my merino hat has nothing to grip and tries blowing off all the time.

Jimidh

Veteran
I eventuality cracked and let my wife cut my hair ( I’m fine she says - I used to cut my dolls hair) and she done a half decent job. Will do for another few weeks ^_^.

Last edited:

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I use some professional Wahl clippers that my eldest daughter bought me from her work, good staff discount for those in the trade, No 2 all over usually done by myself, then checked for any missed bits by the Mrs, however in a fit of madness I did take a razor to my scalp in the shower one day and yes I bled everywhere, once you start, you cant stop, I once let my 2 youngest loose with my clippers once, there was a knock on the door so I went to answer it.... bloody hell said Joe " have you been in an accident"? it was only half done:laugh:

Buy some clippers, get it done , you will never go to a barbers again.

Thanks to lockdown ennui I shaved my head with a safety razor for the first time recently. So much blood, plus I discovered that I detest the feeling of bare scalp so I'm unlikely to do that again in a hurry, but it was certainly an interesting experiment.

It's alarming the first time you use clippers on your own head but you quickly get used it to it and it's not like you can really mess it up unless you're after a fancier do than "stubbly bowling ball"

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I‘ve used a set of Wahl cordless clip and rinse clippers for 8 years now. They cost about £20 from Boots and I was going to post this link for you https://www.boots.com/wahl-clip-and-rinse-rechargeable-hair-clipper-with-personal-trimmer-10087471 but I see now that they are out of stock. If you can find them elsewhere they really are a great tool. I favour the gauge one in summer, gauge two for winter.

I’ve had a brief search for them and they are on an auction site and other places but now at double the normal price. How much are you prepared to spend?

Top Bottom