I didn't know that the clocks had gone forward an hour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxo

Guru
In fact our new won freedoms will mean that we can even make time go backwards.....Rees Mogg is going to land us in the 1930s. Thank goodness for King and Empire.
Does that mean I might get the chance to forget the sixties all over again? Always assuming that we don't continue to go backwards, but start heading forwards again.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
We should be on BST permanently. We're no longer an agricultural population so most folk don't care that it's dark in the morning as lighter evening more than compensate

It's safer (fewer kids involved in RTAs as they go straight to school in dark but tend to dawdle home in the light) and we use less fuel energy too. Just needs a bit of political will to deal with the bleatings of those *ahem* "more northerly based in the UK"

And it would help Accy too, which is a major bonus

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just woken up. My wind up clock has stopped. I can't remember if my phone clock sets itself or i have to set it and the clock on the wall is in another room,so total confusion! Not only that but it's grey and misty outside,like you'd expect the weather to be when the clocks go back,not forward.:wacko:

We should be on BST permanently. We're no longer an agricultural population so most folk don't care that it's dark in the morning as lighter evening more than compensate

It's safer (fewer kids involved in RTAs as they go straight to school in dark but tend to dawdle home in the light) and we use less fuel energy too. Just needs a bit of political will to deal with the bleatings of those *ahem* "more northerly based in the UK"

If only we were independent...

Slick

Guru

A bit simplistic, can you not think of any other sectors of industry who would be affected?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I overhears someone's conversation last night,regarding holidays in Scandinavia. One woman said that Norway has a much greater suicide rate than Britain because they have much shorter daylight in the winter months. Yes but they have much longer daylight in the summer months,so that should balance it up, i thought. I didn't say anything as she didn't look the type that liked to be corrected.

Good job you kept quiet as you'd be somewhat wrong about it balancing out when it comes to suicide.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I overhears someone's conversation last night,regarding holidays in Scandinavia. One woman said that Norway has a much greater suicide rate than Britain because they have much shorter daylight in the winter months. Yes but they have much longer daylight in the summer months,so that should balance it up, i thought. I didn't say anything as she didn't look the type that liked to be corrected.
Difficulty sleeping through light nights isn't exactly great either. Take a facemask if you visit in summer, unless you're really sure the accommodation has blackouts.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A bit simplistic, can you not think of any other sectors of industry who would be affected?

It's simplistic cos it's simple, innit

Joking aside, there are very good reasons to adopt permanent BST (or if you want to go mental, BST in the winter and double BST in the summer). What knocks it on the head are:

1) Lack of political will as it will upset farmers and "our friends north of the border"
2) Daily Mail articles saying we are adopting EU time

Reduces energy usage, reduces accidents

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Joking aside, there are very good reasons to adopt permanent BST (or if you want to go mental, BST in the winter and double BST in the summer). What knocks it on the head are:

1) Lack of political will as it will upset farmers and "our friends north of the border"

Yes, whenever I hear "double BST" I think stop being dishonest, call it Central European Summer Time and help people face facts that we are unavoidably European and not merely British (or Greenwich Mints?).

Slick

Guru
I can't see how. The number of daylight hours will still be exactly the same.

I think we all know the construction industry for example is a huge driver of our economy. Anyone who has spent any time in that industry that an hour in the morning is worth 2 in the afternoon. I know daylight overall won't change, but that alone is a good reason for keeping it. Obviously, there will be many more examples, including safety.

Top Bottom