I hate car's!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One job I had they hired cars for me. I quickly twigged that a bottle of whisky to the hire manager got me quite an upgrade. One time I asked him, "What's the very best car you can hire me?". He instantly replied "The Skoda Octavia. More comfortable, reliable and better spec than any of the German Panzerwankwagons".

I see no benefit in having a "souped up" car. A car is car all your souped up car does is get you to the next traffic lights a bit quicker than the bloke you overtook. I have only had one a Reliant Kitten estate. It got me where I was going. It did require steering on a windy day. A lot of steering. And I sold it for sight more than I paid for it. Just when I started cycling the city centre suddenly became a massive traffic jam.
Also when they completed the motorway around Manchester there was suddenly a traffic jam leading into Middleton. Couldn't recall one ever in the past. People were taking over an hour to travel 2 miles.
Rant finished!!

icowden

Veteran
According to my Tesla S owning neighbour tyre wear is not "better". The weight and torque make the tyres work rather hard for their keep.

And even if they were cheaper in that regard, it costs half as much again as a comparable spec M5, and that buys vast amounts of tyres. If you're buying a tesla thinking youre going to save any money you've lost that the moment your wallet comes out in the showroom.

The M5 starts at £95,380, Tesla S from £81,200 and the Tesla 3 starts from around half that cost (the Model 3 performance also outdrives the M5 ZF). Also if you live in the UK, the BMW is an ICE car advertised as 28.5mpg (so in real life use a lot less than 28.5mpg). So that means a *lot* of petrol costs. Tesla charged at home 4.5p per mile vs BMW 21p per mile.

Oh - and if you got your wallet out in the Tesla showroom, you made a huge error. Tesla don't have showrooms. They have stores. Also, I don't think you can buy a Tesla at the store.You buy online.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I was just moaning to a workmate about my car this morning.
He then told me about his car problems which put mine in perspective.
Four years back he bought a Fiat panda for £4000.This year his MOT bill came to £695 with some major repairs needed. As the car had now clocked up some decent mileage he decided to trade it in for a newer car.
He got £700 for it.
In the grand scheme of things his car was worth £5 after 4 years of ownership
The mind boggles

PS in the not to distant future there will be a lot more convience stores and lot less normal supermarkets. Most people will be buying online and topping up at there local convenience store. Aldi and lidl be warned. Supermarkets will have started to close down within 3 years. I have a crystal ball.

totally agree OP
cars are now a massive curse on us all. i hate going anywhere now, weekends used to be a bit quieter, you could get out for a drive. now it's bedlam. out for a walk you need 2 sets of eyes to look out for cars. cycling, well god bless you
if i could dump the car i would, but it'll never happen while i have to work unfortunately
or unless public transport has a revolution for the better

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
No. That would give them more respect than they deserve.

Muddled thinking.

Adolf Hitler and Mother Teresa both take capitals, no matter what you think of them.

Same as Nazi, Labour, Conservative, Green, Communist, or any other political party.

There is an argument around the few proper nouns that have acquired an ordinary noun meaning as well.

Hoover is a vacuum cleaner or any other product made by the company, but hoover is a generic term for any vacuum cleaner.

I suppose Nazi could fall into that category.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I was just moaning to a workmate about my car this morning.
He then told me about his car problems which put mine in perspective.
Four years back he bought a Fiat panda for £4000.This year his MOT bill came to £695 with some major repairs needed. As the car had now clocked up some decent mileage he decided to trade it in for a newer car.
He got £700 for it.
In the grand scheme of things his car was worth £5 after 4 years of ownership
The mind boggles
I think the key word there is 'Fiat'.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Going against the flow to say...I love my car.

Feeling a bit sniffly this morning due to a virus and didn't fancy battling the winds on me bicycle. Gets in car, switches on Radio 4 and gets carried to work in comfort with the soothing voice of Mishal Hussain as company.

Gunk

Guru
Going against the flow to say...I love my car.

Feeling a bit sniffly this morning due to a virus and didn't fancy battling the winds on me bicycle. Gets in car, switches on Radio 4 and gets carried to work in comfort with the soothing voice of Mishal Hussain as company.

Your commute is obviously more pleasurable than mine. I cover 4 miles in 35 minutes, luckily I drive an automatic

Top Bottom